He was previously the representative for Michigan’s 12th congressional district as a Democrat from 1993 to 2012; and the representative for Michigan’s 17th congressional district as a Democrat from 1983 to 1992.
Read our 2017 Report Card for Levin.
Levin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Levin has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Sander Levin sits on the following committees:
Levin was the primary sponsor of 16 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 1916 (114th): Trade Enforcement and Trade Facilitation Act of 2015
- H.R. 15 (112th): Middle Class Tax Cut Act
- H.R. 3743 (112th): Temporary Payroll Tax Cut Continuation Act of 2011
- H.R. 6517 (111th): Omnibus Trade Act of 2010
- H.R. 4783 (111th): Claims Resolution Act of 2010
- H.R. 5712 (111th): Physician Payment and Therapy Relief Act of 2010
- H.R. 6190 (111th): Airport and Airway Extension Act of 2010, Part III
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Levin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Levin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1057: Calling on Burma’s civilian leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, to release two jailed ...
- H.R. 6431: Medigap Consumer Protection Act of 2018
- H.Res. 973: Expressing support for the designation of July 15, 2018, as “National Leiomyosarcoma Awareness ...
- H.Res. 931: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the 85th anniversary of ...
- H.R. 5150: Protecting Medicare from Excessive Price Increases Act of 2018
- H.Res. 608: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the 85th anniversary of ...
- H.R. 4110: Equal Dignity for Married Taxpayers Act of 2017
|Levin’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6082: Overdose Prevention and Patient Safety Act
Jun 20, 2018. Passed 357/57.
H.R. 6082 amends the Public Health Service Act to permit substance use disorder (SUD) records to be shared among covered entities and Part 2 programs in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), for the purposes of treatment, payment, and ...
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Passed 342/85.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.Con.Res. 55: Directing the President, pursuant to section 5(c) of the War Powers Resolution, to remove United States Armed Forces ...
Jun 17, 2015. Failed 139/288.
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1765 (113th): Reducing Flight Delays Act of 2013
Apr 26, 2013. Passed 361/41.
H.Res. 425 (112th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 2832) to extend the Generalized System ...
Oct 11, 2011. Passed 281/128.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 378 (111th): Recognizing the 30th anniversary of the election of Margaret Thatcher as the first female Prime Minister of ...
May 12, 2009. Passed 339/64.
From Jan 1983 to Sep 2018, Levin missed 210 of 21,640 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills