Read our 2016 Report Card for Bishop.
Our unique analysis of the bills Bishop has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Bishop is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Sanford Bishop Jr. sits on the following committees:
Bishop was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1941 (112th): Hiring Heroes Act of 2011
- H.R. 6859 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1501 South Slappey Boulevard in Albany, Georgia, as the “Dr. Walter Carl Gordon, Jr. Post ...
- H.J.Res. 70 (110th): Congratulating the Army Reserve on its centennial, which will be formally celebrated on April 23, 2008, and commemorating the historic contributions of its veterans and continuing contributions ...
- H.R. 4692 (107th): To amend the Act entitled “An Act to authorize the Establishment of the Andersonville National Historic Site in the State of Georgia, and for other purposes”, to ...
- H.R. 1432 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 3698 Inner Perimeter Road in Valdosta, Georgia, as the “Major Lyn McIntosh Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 2699 (106th): To designate the United States courthouse located at 223 Broad Street in Albany, Georgia, as the “C.B. King United States Courthouse”.
- H.R. 1714 (105th): To provide for the acquisition of the Plains Railroad Depot at the Jimmy Carter National Historic Site.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bishop sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Bishop’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 538: Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park Boundary Revision Act
- H.R. 333: Disabled Veterans Tax Termination Act
- H.R. 5561 (114th): Max Cleland Congressional Gold Medal Act of 2016
- H.R. 5248 (114th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to clarify the eligibility of ...
- H.R. 482 (114th): Ocmulgee Mounds National Historical Park Boundary Revision Act of 2016
- H.R. 333 (114th): Disabled Veterans Tax Termination Act
- H.Res. 674 (113th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that sedentary lifestyles are ...
|Bishop’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2596: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Jun 16, 2015. Passed 247/178.
The Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 (IAA), H.R. 2596, was passed by the House on June 16. The IAA would authorize funding for intelligence-related agencies such as the Central Intelligence Agency, National Security Agency, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It was passed ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 622: State and Local Sales Tax Deduction Fairness Act of 2015
Apr 16, 2015. Passed 272/152.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 317 (111th): Recognizing the region from Manhattan, Kansas, to Columbia, Missouri, as the Kansas City Animal Health Corridor, and ...
Sep 15, 2009. Passed 312/108.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
From Jan 1993 to May 2017, Bishop missed 630 of 16,233 roll call votes, which is 3.9%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 89 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: