Duffy was the representative for Wisconsin’s 7th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2011 to 2019.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Duffy.
Duffy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Duffy has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 11, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Duffy was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4258: Family Self-Sufficiency Act
- H.R. 3042 (115th): Dr. Chris Kirkpatrick Whistleblower Protection Act of 2017
- H.R. 657 (115th): Follow the Rules Act
- H.R. 4046 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 220 East Oak Street, Glenwood City, Wisconsin, as the Second Lt. Ellen Ainsworth Memorial Post ...
- H.R. 5278 (114th): PROMESA
- H.R. 4900 (114th): PROMESA
- H.R. 353 (114th): Veterans’ Access to Hearing Health Act of 2015
Does 7 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Duffy sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Duffy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4442: Equal Right to Life Act
- H.Res. 500: Recognizing the benefits of digitization of the mortgage process.
- H.R. 3088: Shareholder Protection Act of 2019
- H.R. 3023: Secure Our Schools Today Act of 2019
- H.R. 2869: HEROES Act
- H.R. 2097: Legacies of War Recognition and Unexploded Ordnance Removal Act
- H.Res. 188: Expressing support for designation of July as National Sarcoma Awareness Month.
From Jan 2011 to Sep 2019, Duffy missed 241 of 5,885 roll call votes, which is 4.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 2019. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: