Read our 2016 Report Card for Jackson Lee.
Our unique analysis of the bills Jackson Lee has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Jackson Lee is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Sheila Jackson Lee sits on the following committees:
House Committee on the Judiciary
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations
- Member, Subcommittee on Immigration and Border Security
- House Committee on the Budget
- House Committee on Homeland Security
Jackson Lee was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 710 (114th): To require the Secretary of Homeland Security to prepare a comprehensive security assessment of the transportation security card program, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 78 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4110 Almeda Road in Houston, Texas, as the “George Thomas ‘Mickey’ Leland Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 6510 (111th): To direct the Administrator of General Services to convey a parcel of real property in Houston, Texas, to the Military Museum of Texas, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 289 (111th): To authorize the President to posthumously award a gold medal on behalf of the Congress to the seven members of the crew of the space shuttle Columbia ...
- H.R. 6610 (110th): To amend the Federal Rules of Evidence to address the waiver of the attorney-client privilege and the work product doctrine.
- H.R. 6212 (110th): Medicare Efficiency and Development of Improvement of Care and Services Act (MEDICS Act) of 2008
- H.R. 266 (110th): To authorize the President to posthumously award a gold medal on behalf of the Congress to the seven members of the crew of the space shuttle Columbia ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Jackson Lee sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Jackson Lee’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2442: FIRST State and Local Law Enforcement Act
- H.R. 2444: TRUMP Special Counsel Act
- H.R. 1985: Justice for Children Now Act of 2017
- H.R. 1978: My Sister’s Keeper Act of 2017
- H.J.Res. 95: Expressing support for designation of September 2017 as “Gospel Music Heritage Month” and ...
- H.R. 1980: Private Prison Information Act of 2017
- H.R. 1984: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer Research and Education Act of 2017
|Jackson Lee’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1599: Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015
Jul 23, 2015. Passed 275/150.
This bill was enacted as S. 764. The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015 would require the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to regulate the distribution and labeling related to bioengineered foods (often referred to as genetically modified foods or GMOs). It would ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2393: Country of Origin Labeling Amendments Act of 2015
Jun 10, 2015. Passed 300/131.
The Country of Origin Labeling Amendments Act of 2015 would repeal the requirement for meat products to be labeled with their country of origin. Currently meat products must include information on where the animal was bred, raised, and slaughtered. The Canadian government filed a complaint ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 622: State and Local Sales Tax Deduction Fairness Act of 2015
Apr 16, 2015. Passed 272/152.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 5325 (112th): Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 6, 2012. Passed 255/165.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 1137 (111th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 2847) making appropriations for the Departments ...
Mar 4, 2010. Passed 212/209.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
From Jan 1995 to May 2017, Jackson Lee missed 949 of 15,123 roll call votes, which is 6.3%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 258 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: