Berkley, a Democrat, was the representative for Nevada’s 1st congressional district from 1999 to 2012.
In 2012 Berkley was investigated for advocating for programs in which she had a financial interest from 2008-2010. The House Committee on Ethics found that the representative had indeed advocated for some programs in which she had a financial interest. In 2012, Representative Berkley lost reelection.
Berkley is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Berkley sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Berkley was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4053 (110th): Mental Health Improvements Act of 2007
- H.J.Res. 59 (109th): Expressing the sense of Congress with respect to the establishment of an appropriate day for the commemoration of the women suffragists who fought for and won the ...
- H.R. 1481 (106th): To designate the United States courthouse under construction at 333 Las Vegas Boulevard South in Las Vegas, Nevada, as the “Lloyd D. George United States Courthouse”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Berkley sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (24%) Armed Forces and National Security (16%) Health (16%) International Affairs (12%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Social Welfare (7%) Labor and Employment (7%)
Some of Berkley’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6072 (112th): Las Vegas Valley Public Land and Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument ...
- H.R. 5833 (112th): Veterans Burial Benefits Improvement Act of 2012
- H.Res. 653 (112th): Recognizing the goals of National Travel and Tourism Week and honoring the ...
- H.R. 5332 (112th): To prohibit agency restrictions on conference locations.
- H.R. 5333 (112th): Middle Class Tax Fairness Act of 2012
- H.R. 4108 (112th): Clean Energy Jobs Act of 2012
- H.R. 3460 (112th): American Jobs First Act of 2011
From Jan 1999 to Jan 2013, Berkley missed 382 of 9,782 roll call votes, which is 3.9%. This is worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jan 2013. ProPublica has tracked 79 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: