Bachus, a Republican, was the representative for Alabama’s 6th congressional district from 1993 to 2014.
Read our 2014 Report Card for Bachus.
Bachus is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bachus sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Bachus was the primary sponsor of 8 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6345 (109th): To make a conforming amendment to the Federal Deposit Insurance Act with respect to examinations of certain insured depository institutions, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2768 (108th): John Marshall Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 2622 (108th): Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003
- H.R. 23 (108th): Tornado Shelters Act
- H.J.Res. 102 (106th): Recognizing that the Birmingham Pledge has made a significant contribution in fostering racial harmony and reconciliation in the United States and around the world, and for other ...
- H.R. 5273 (106th): United States Mint Numismatic Coin Clarification Act of 2000
- H.R. 1715 (106th): Defense Production Act Amendments of 1999
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bachus sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Bachus’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5421 (113th): Financial Institution Bankruptcy Act of 2014
- H.R. 5320 (113th): To direct the Attorney General to provide State officials with access to ...
- H.Res. 528 (113th): Expressing support for designation of March 2014 as “National Multiple Myeloma Awareness ...
- H.Res. 395 (113th): Recognizing Birmingham, Alabama, as home to the first and longest-running celebration of ...
- H.R. 2542 (113th): Regulatory Flexibility Improvements Act of 2013
- H.R. 2446 (113th): Responsible Consumer Financial Protection Regulations Act of 2013
- H.R. 2379 (113th): Qualified Mortgage Loan Originator Transitional Authority Act of 2013
|Bachus’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2775 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Act, 2014
Oct 16, 2013. Passed 285/144.
This was the "vehicle" for passage of the bill that ended the government shutdown and raised the debt ceiling. This bill was introduced regarding an unrelated matter. It had been passed by the House. On Oct. 16, the Senate amended the text of the bill, ...
H.R. 152 (113th): Disaster Relief Appropriations Act, 2013
Jan 15, 2013. Passed 241/180.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 1184 (111th): Congratulating the 2009-2010 University of Maryland Men’s Basketball Team, Greivis Vasquez, and Coach Gary Williams on an ...
Mar 17, 2010. Passed 279/132.
H.R. 3246 (110th): Regional Economic and Infrastructure Development Act of 2007
Oct 4, 2007. Passed 264/154.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
H.R. 1700 (110th): COPS Improvements Act of 2007
May 15, 2007. Passed 381/34.
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2014, Bachus missed 535 of 14,635 roll call votes, which is 3.7%. This is worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2014. ProPublica has tracked 19 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: