Read our 2017 Report Card for Hoyer.
Hoyer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Hoyer has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Hoyer was the primary sponsor of 36 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 4872: End The Shutdown Act of 2018
- H.J.Res. 76: Granting the consent and approval of Congress for the Commonwealth of Virginia, the State of Maryland, and the District of Columbia to enter into a compact relating to ...
- H.R. 4120 (113th): To amend the National Law Enforcement Museum Act to extend the termination date.
- H.J.Res. 62 (111th): Appointing the day for the convening of the second session of the One Hundred Eleventh Congress.
- H.J.Res. 58 (111th): Granting the consent and approval of Congress to amendments made by the State of Maryland, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the District of Columbia to the Washington ...
- H.R. 3688 (110th): United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act
- H.R. 2852 (110th): To grant a Federal charter to Korean War Veterans Association, Incorporated.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Hoyer sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Hoyer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6437: Secure America from Russian Interference Act of 2018
- H.Con.Res. 113: Authorizing the use of the Capitol Grounds for the Greater Washington Soap Box ...
- H.R. 4874: End The Shutdown Act of 2018
- H.R. 4872: End The Shutdown Act of 2018
- H.Res. 526: Congratulating the National Federation of Federal Employees on the celebration of its 100th ...
- H.Con.Res. 36: Authorizing the use of the Capitol Grounds for the Greater Washington Soap Box ...
- H.J.Res. 76: Granting the consent and approval of Congress for the Commonwealth of Virginia, the ...
As House Minority Whip, Hoyer may be focused on his responsibilities other than introducing legislation, such as setting the chamber’s agenda, uniting his party, and brokering deals.
|Hoyer’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.Res. 937: Providing for consideration of the conference report to accompany the bill (S. 2943) to authorize appropriations for fiscal year 2017 for military activities of the Department ...
Dec 1, 2016. Passed 277/139.
H.R. 5461: Iranian Leadership Asset Transparency Act
Sep 21, 2016. Passed 282/143.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 529: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to improve 529 plans.
Feb 25, 2015. Passed 401/20.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1765 (113th): Reducing Flight Delays Act of 2013
Apr 26, 2013. Passed 361/41.
H.R. 3630 (112th): Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012
Feb 17, 2012. Passed 293/132.
H.R. 3078 (112th): United States-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement Implementation Act
Oct 12, 2011. Passed 262/167.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jun 1981 to Sep 2018, Hoyer missed 608 of 22,395 roll call votes, which is 2.7%. This is on par with the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills