Herseth Sandlin was the representative for South Dakota’s at-large district and was a Democrat. She served from 2004 to 2010.
Herseth Sandlin is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Herseth Sandlin sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 2005 to Dec 21, 2010. See full analysis methodology.
Herseth Sandlin was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5651 (111th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 515 9th Street in Rapid City, South Dakota, as the “Andrew W. Bogue Federal Building and ...
- H.R. 1924 (111th): Tribal Law and Order Act of 2009
- H.R. 2654 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 202 South Dumont Avenue in Woonsocket, South Dakota, as the “Eleanor McGovern Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3050 (110th): To grant the consent and approval of Congress to an interstate forest fire protection compact.
- H.R. 4301 (109th): Blunt Reservoir and Pierre Canal Land Conveyance Act of 2006
- H.R. 3967 (109th): Pactola Reservoir Reallocation Authorization Act of 2006
- H.R. 546 (109th): Wind Cave National Park Boundary Revision Act of 2005
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Herseth Sandlin sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (17%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Health (12%) Housing and Community Development (11%) Agriculture and Food (11%) Native Americans (10%) Education (9%)
Some of Herseth Sandlin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6338 (111th): To amend the Federal Crop Insurance Act to permit certain livestock owners ...
- H.R. 6339 (111th): Veteran Medic Corpsmen Physician Assistant Demonstration Program Act of 2010
- H.R. 6233 (111th): Native American Small Business Assistance and Entrepreneurial Growth Act of 2010
- H.R. 6234 (111th): Comprehensive Long-Term Care Support Act of 2010
- H.R. 6207 (111th): Rural Flood Mitigation and Recovery Act of 2010
- H.R. 5651 (111th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 515 ...
- H.R. 5633 (111th): Consumer Vehicle Choice Act of 2010
From Jun 2004 to Dec 2010, Herseth Sandlin missed 105 of 5,066 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is better than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: