Our unique analysis of the bills Herseth Sandlin sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Herseth Sandlin is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Herseth Sandlin was the primary sponsor of 9 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5651 (111th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 515 9th Street in Rapid City, South Dakota, as the “Andrew W. Bogue Federal Building and ...
- H.R. 1211 (111th): Women Veterans Health Care Improvement Act
- H.R. 1924 (111th): Tribal Law and Order Act of 2009
- H.R. 2654 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 202 South Dumont Avenue in Woonsocket, South Dakota, as the “Eleanor McGovern Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 3050 (110th): To grant the consent and approval of Congress to an interstate forest fire protection compact.
- H.R. 2348 (110th): Beginning Farmer and Rancher Opportunity Act of 2007
- H.R. 4301 (109th): Blunt Reservoir and Pierre Canal Land Conveyance Act of 2006
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Herseth Sandlin sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (17%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Economics and Public Finance (15%) Health (12%) Housing and Community Development (11%) Agriculture and Food (11%) Native Americans (10%) Education (9%)
Some of Herseth Sandlin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6338 (111th): To amend the Federal Crop Insurance Act to permit certain livestock owners ...
- H.R. 6339 (111th): Veteran Medic Corpsmen Physician Assistant Demonstration Program Act of 2010
- H.R. 6233 (111th): Native American Small Business Assistance and Entrepreneurial Growth Act of 2010
- H.R. 6234 (111th): Comprehensive Long-Term Care Support Act of 2010
- H.R. 6207 (111th): Rural Flood Mitigation and Recovery Act of 2010
- H.R. 5651 (111th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 515 ...
- H.R. 5633 (111th): Consumer Vehicle Choice Act of 2010
|Herseth Sandlin’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Con.Res. 308 (111th): Providing for a conditional adjournment of the House of Representatives.
Jul 29, 2010. Passed 231/189.
H.R. 31 (111th): Lumbee Recognition Act
Jun 3, 2009. Passed 240/179.
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jun 2004 to Dec 2010, Herseth Sandlin missed 105 of 5,066 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is better than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. ProPublica has tracked 40 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: