Jones was the representative for Ohio’s 11th congressional district and was a Democrat. She served from 1999 to 2008.
Jones is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Jones sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 10, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Jones was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 4853 (106th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1568 South Glen Road in South Euclid, Ohio, as the “Arnold C. D’Amico Station”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Jones sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Economics and Public Finance (17%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Housing and Community Development (13%) Social Welfare (12%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Law (11%) Taxation (9%) Education (9%)
Some of Jones’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1131 (110th): Recognizing that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention observes the month ...
- H.Res. 996 (110th): Expressing support for the second annual America Saves Week 2008 from February ...
- H.Res. 993 (110th): Expressing support for the second annual America Saves Week 2008 from February ...
- H.Res. 957 (110th): Expressing support for the second annual America Saves Week 2008 from February ...
- H.Res. 874 (110th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the Congressional Philanthropy ...
- H.R. 4328 (110th): Community Economic Development Expertise Enhancement Act of 2007
- H.Res. 827 (110th): Honoring and recognizing the achievements of Carl Stokes, the first African-American mayor ...
From Jan 1999 to Aug 2008, Jones missed 729 of 6,397 roll call votes, which is 11.4%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Aug 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: