Read our 2018 Report Card for Murphy.
Murphy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Murphy has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 3, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Stephanie Murphy sits on the following committees:
Murphy was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 7243 (115th): To amend Public Law 115-217 to change the address of the postal facility designated by such Public Law in honor of Sergeant First Class Alwyn Crendall Cashe, ...
- H.R. 4840 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 567 East Franklin Street in Oviedo, Florida, as the “Sergeant First Class Alwyn Crendall Cashe ...
- H.R. 2056: Microloan Modernization Act of 2017
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Murphy sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Murphy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4943: Ensuring Linguistic Excellence and Vocational Aptitude by Teaching English Act
- H.R. 4658: Empowering Student Borrowers Act
- H.R. 3529: Achieving Lasting Electoral Reforms on Transparency and Security Act
- H.R. 3477: Reclaiming Congressional Trade Authority Act of 2019
- H.R. 3476: Prevention and Oversight of Intelligence Sharing with Enemies Act
- H.R. 3345: Making Opportunities Reachable for Everyone Act
- H.R. 1874: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to require that qualified cash ...
From Jan 2017 to Dec 2019, Murphy missed 30 of 1,857 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: