Murphy is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Murphy has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 13, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Murphy was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 8276: To authorize the President to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to Alwyn C. Cashe for acts of valor during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
- H.R. 1874: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to require that qualified cash or deferred arrangements allow certain long-term employees to participate.
- H.R. 7243 (115th): To amend Public Law 115-217 to change the address of the postal facility designated by such Public Law in honor of Sergeant First Class Alwyn Crendall Cashe, ...
- H.R. 4840 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 567 East Franklin Street in Oviedo, Florida, as the “Sergeant First Class Alwyn Crendall Cashe ...
- H.R. 2056 (115th): Microloan Modernization Act of 2017
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Murphy sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Murphy’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 8567: Required Minimum Distribution Modernization Act of 2020
- H.R. 8520: Supporting Educators During COVID–19 Act
- H.R. 8305: FAITH in Congress Act
- H.R. 8276: To authorize the President to posthumously award the Medal of Honor to Alwyn ...
- H.R. 7553: DEFEND Act
- H.R. 6776: JOBS Credit Act of 2020
- H.R. 6545 (116th): Health Insurance Marketplace Affordability Act of 2020
From Jan 2017 to Jan 2021, Murphy missed 35 of 2,181 roll call votes, which is 1.6%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: