Buyer was the representative for Indiana’s 4th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2003 to 2010.
He was previously the representative for Indiana’s 5th congressional district as a Republican from 1993 to 2002.
Alleged misconduct & resolution
On Aug. 1, 2001, the House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct investigated Buyer for improper use of official resources for political purpose and dismissed the complaint unanimously. A public letter was sent to Buyer.
|Aug. 1, 2001||House Committee on Standards of Official Conduct dismissed complaint unanimously and public letter sent to Buyer|
Buyer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2010 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Buyer sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Buyer was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1261 (111th): Youth Prevention and Tobacco Harm Reduction Act
- H.R. 6342 (109th): Veterans Programs Extension Act of 2006
- H.R. 2043 (107th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2719 South Webster Street in Kokomo, Indiana, as the “Elwood Haynes ‘Bud’ Hillis Post Office ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Buyer sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (38%) Government Operations and Politics (13%) Health (13%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (8%) Labor and Employment (7%) Education (7%) Housing and Community Development (6%)
Some of Buyer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1726 (111th): Honoring the service and accomplishments of Kingston Smith, Republican Staff Director and ...
- H.R. 6127 (111th): Extension of Health Care Eligibility for Veterans Who Served at Qarmat Ali ...
- H.Res. 1501 (111th): Honoring the Patriot Guard Riders for their steadfast dedication in support of ...
- H.R. 5641 (111th): Heroes at Home Act
- H.R. 4894 (111th): To amend the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to ensure appropriate ...
- H.R. 4220 (111th): Promoting Jobs for Veterans Act of 2009
- H.R. 4221 (111th): Department of Veterans Affairs Acquisition Improvement Act of 2009
|Buyer’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.Res. 1284 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the House amendments to the Senate amendment to the ...
Jun 19, 2008. Passed 342/83.
H.R. 3087 (110th): A bill to require the Secretary of Defense to submit to Congress reports on the status of ...
Oct 2, 2007. Passed 377/46.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1993 to Dec 2010, Buyer missed 954 of 11,825 roll call votes, which is 8.1%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2010. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: