Read our 2017 Report Card for Lynch.
Lynch is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lynch has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Stephen Lynch sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
- House Committee on Financial Services
Lynch was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 2464: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 25 New Chardon Street Lobby in Boston, Massachusetts, as the “John Fitzgerald Kennedy Post Office”.
- H.R. 2622: Countering Terrorist Financing Act of 2017
- H.R. 1670 (114th): National POW/MIA Remembrance Act of 2015
- H.R. 313 (114th): Wounded Warriors Federal Leave Act of 2015
- H.R. 995 (114th): Veterans Day Moment of Silence Act
- H.R. 5528 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 120 Commercial Street in Brockton, Massachusetts, as the “Rocky Marciano Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lynch sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (38%) Finance and Financial Sector (20%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Armed Forces and National Security (5%) Health (5%) Labor and Employment (5%)
Some of Lynch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 993: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that Congress should take all ...
- H.Res. 783: Expressing support for designation of September as “National Brain Aneurysm Awareness Month”.
- H.R. 5101: Kleptocracy Asset Recovery Rewards Act
- H.R. 4381: Natural Gas Pipeline Public Health Protection Act of 2017
- H.R. 4095: DEA Opioid Enforcement Restoration Act of 2017
- H.R. 3938: Air Traffic Noise and Pollution Expert Consensus Act of 2017
- H.Con.Res. 83: Authorizing the use of Emancipation Hall in the Capitol Visitor Center for the ...
|Lynch’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5895: Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2019
Jun 8, 2018. Passed 235/179.
H.R. 5895 provides funding for national defense nuclear weapons activities, the Army Corps of Engineers, various programs under the Department of Energy, the Legislative Branch, the Department of Veterans Affairs, military construction and family housing for the Department of Defense, and other related agencies. This ...
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 5461: Iranian Leadership Asset Transparency Act
Sep 21, 2016. Passed 282/143.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 915 (111th): Encouraging the Republic of Hungary to respect the rule of law, treat foreign investors fairly, and promote ...
Dec 8, 2009. Passed 333/74.
H.Res. 1525 (110th): Providing for consideration of the Senate amendments to the bill (H.R. 1424) to amend section 712 of ...
Oct 3, 2008. Passed 223/205.
From Oct 2001 to Sep 2018, Lynch missed 453 of 11,811 roll call votes, which is 3.8%. This is worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: