Read our 2018 Report Card for Chabot.
Chabot is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Chabot has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Mar 21, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Steve Chabot sits on the following committees:
- Ranking Member, House Committee on Small Business
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Middle East, North Africa, and International Terrorism
- House Committee on the Judiciary
Chabot was the primary sponsor of 16 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6758: SUCCESS Act
- H.R. 4743: Small Business 7(a) Lending Oversight Reform Act of 2018
- H.R. 535: Taiwan Travel Act
- H.R. 6477 (114th): Foreign Cultural Exchange Jurisdictional Immunity Clarification Act
- H.R. 558 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 55 South Pioneer Boulevard in Springboro, Ohio, as the “Richard ‘Dick’ Chenault Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 2499 (114th): Veterans Entrepreneurship Act of 2015
- H.R. 3191 (114th): To amend the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 with respect to funding available for fiscal year 2015 for certain general business loans authorized under the ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Chabot sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Chabot’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 248: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the United States One-China ...
- H.R. 1663: Foundation of the Federal Bar Association Charter Amendments Act of 2019
- H.R. 1648: To amend the Small Business Act to provide for the establishment of an ...
- H.R. 1649: To amend the Small Business Act to require cyber certification for small business ...
- H.R. 1229: Preserving Teacher Loan Forgiveness for Military Spouses Act of 2019
- H.R. 948: NOPEC
- H.R. 593: Small Business Owners’ Tax Simplification Act of 2019
|Chabot’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 2322: CURD Act
Dec 20, 2018. Failed 230/162.
H.R. 6157: Department of Defense and Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education Appropriations Act, 2019 and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2019
Sep 26, 2018. Passed 361/61.
H.R. 6157 provides $674.6 billion in total discretionary budget authority for the Department of Defense for fiscal year (FY) 2019. The bill provides $606.5 billion for the Department of Defense base budget, which is an increase of $17.1 billion above FY18 levels, and $68.1 billion ...
S. 1182: The American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
Jul 25, 2018. Passed 366/52.
The House Amendment to S. 1182 extends the National Flood Insurance Program, which is set to expire July 31, 2018, through November 30, 2018. This amendment does not include any reforms to the program; it is only a short-term extension. The NFIP was originally set ...
H.R. 4667: Making further supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2018, for disaster assistance for Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and calendar year 2017 wildfires, ...
Dec 21, 2017. Passed 251/169.
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.J.Res. 43: Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the final rule submitted by Secretary of Health and Human Services relating ...
Feb 16, 2017. Passed 230/188.
Joe Biden never got the opportunity to break a single 50-50 Senate tie in eight years as vice president. Mike Pence has already broken two. One from last month has since become law: a measure allowing states to withhold federal Planned Parenthood funding. (The other ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant legislative change to the U.S. patent system since the ...
From Jan 1995 to Mar 2019, Chabot missed 79 of 14,519 roll call votes, which is 0.5%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: