Read our 2016 Report Card for Chabot.
Our unique analysis of the bills Chabot has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Chabot is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Steve Chabot sits on the following committees:
- Chairman, House Committee on Small Business
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
House Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations
Chabot was the primary sponsor of 12 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 6477 (114th): Foreign Cultural Exchange Jurisdictional Immunity Clarification Act
- H.R. 558 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 55 South Pioneer Boulevard in Springboro, Ohio, as the “Richard ‘Dick’ Chenault Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 2499 (114th): Veterans Entrepreneurship Act of 2015
- H.R. 889 (114th): Foreign Cultural Exchange Jurisdictional Immunity Clarification Act
- H.R. 2100 (114th): Girls Count Act of 2015
- H.R. 3190 (113th): United States Parole Commission Extension Act of 2013
- H.R. 4252 (110th): To provide for an additional temporary extension of programs under the Small Business Act and the Small Business Investment Act of 1958 through May 23, 2008, and ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Chabot sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Commerce (26%) International Affairs (24%) Law (12%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Taxation (6%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (6%)
Some of Chabot’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2432: Volunteer Organization Protection Act of 2017
- H.R. 2408: Protecting Girls’ Access to Education Act
- H.Res. 288: Expressing support for the designation of the week of April 30, 2017, through ...
- H.R. 2004: Strengthen Employment And Seasonal Opportunities Now (SEASON) Act
- H.R. 1773: Clarity for America’s Small Contractors Act of 2017
- H.Res. 114: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Committee on Small Business in the ...
- H.R. 619: To amend title 46, United States Code, to exempt old vessels that only ...
|Chabot’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 1995 to May 2017, Chabot missed 76 of 13,456 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: