Read our 2018 Report Card for Cohen.
Cohen is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cohen has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jun 14, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Steve Cohen sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on the Judiciary
- House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Cohen was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 767 (115th): SOAR to Health and Wellness Act of 2018
- H.R. 5349 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1325 Autumn Avenue in Memphis, Tennessee, as the “Judge Russell B. Sugarmon Post Office Building”.
- H.R. 4246 (114th): National Guard and Reservist Debt Relief Extension Act of 2015
- H.R. 2192 (112th): National Guard and Reservist Debt Relief Extension Act of 2011
- H.R. 2765 (111th): Securing the Protection of our Enduring and Established Constitutional Heritage Act
- H.R. 2587 (110th): A Bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 555 South 3rd Street Lobby in Memphis, Tennessee, as the “Kenneth T. Whalum, ...
- H.R. 753 (110th): To redesignate the Federal building located at 167 North Main Street in Memphis, Tennessee, as the “Clifford Davis and Odell Horton Federal Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cohen sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (28%) Transportation and Public Works (19%) Government Operations and Politics (15%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Taxation (8%) Health (8%) Education (4%) Armed Forces and National Security (4%)
Some of Cohen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3179: To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 regarding proprietary institutions of higher ...
- H.R. 3123: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax incentives for ...
- H.R. 2824: Fair Access to Credit Scores Act of 2019
- H.R. 1914: DUI Reporting Act of 2019
- H.R. 1725: Digital Goods and Services Tax Fairness Act of 2019
- H.R. 1511: Stop Underrides Act
- H.R. 1400: Horse Transportation Safety Act of 2019
From Jan 2007 to Jun 2019, Cohen missed 219 of 9,198 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: