Read our 2017 Report Card for Cohen.
Cohen is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cohen has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Steve Cohen sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on the Judiciary
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe
- House Committee on Ethics
- House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
Cohen was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4246 (114th): National Guard and Reservist Debt Relief Extension Act of 2015
- H.R. 2192 (112th): National Guard and Reservist Debt Relief Extension Act of 2011
- H.R. 2765 (111th): Securing the Protection of our Enduring and Established Constitutional Heritage Act
- H.R. 2587 (110th): A Bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 555 South 3rd Street Lobby in Memphis, Tennessee, as the “Kenneth T. Whalum, ...
- H.R. 753 (110th): To redesignate the Federal building located at 167 North Main Street in Memphis, Tennessee, as the “Clifford Davis and Odell Horton Federal Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cohen sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (25%) Transportation and Public Works (17%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Finance and Financial Sector (12%) Taxation (11%) Health (7%) Education (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (5%)
Some of Cohen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5349: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1320 ...
- H.R. 5218: DUI Reporting Act of 2018
- H.R. 5043: Fresh Start Act of 2018
- H.Res. 720: Recognizing the coordinated struggle of workers on the 50th anniversary of the 1968 ...
- H.R. 4767: Safer Streets Act of 2018
- H.R. 4669: Special Counsel Integrity Act
- H.R. 4622: Stop Underrides Act of 2017
|Cohen’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 2943: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017
Dec 2, 2016. Passed 375/34.
H.R. 3590: Halt Tax Increases on the Middle Class and Seniors Act
Sep 13, 2016. Passed 261/147.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 622: State and Local Sales Tax Deduction Fairness Act of 2015
Apr 16, 2015. Passed 272/152.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 4414 (113th): Expatriate Health Coverage Clarification Act of 2014
Apr 9, 2014. Failed 257/159.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2007 to Apr 2018, Cohen missed 206 of 8,523 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: