Daines is the junior senator from Montana and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Daines is next up for reelection in 2026 and serves until Jan 3, 2027.
He was previously the representative for Montana’s at-large district as a Republican from 2013 to 2014.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Daines.
Daines is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Daines has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 17, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Steve Daines sits on the following committees:
Daines was the primary sponsor of 17 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 900 (116th): A bill to designate the community-based outpatient clinic of the Department of Veterans Affairs in Bozeman, Montana, as the “Travis W. Atkins Department of Veterans Affairs Clinic”.
- S. 490 (116th): B-47 Ridge Designation Act
- S. 3019 (116th): Montana Water Rights Protection Act
- S. 1228 (116th): PIRATE Act
- S. 1882 (116th): A bill to make available the continued use of Pick-Sloan Missouri Basin Program project use power by the Kinsey Irrigation Company and the Sidney Water Users Irrigation ...
- S. 334 (116th): Clean Water for Rural Communities Act
- S. 528 (116th): Fairness For Breastfeeding Mothers Act of 2019
Does 17 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Daines sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (21%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (21%) Taxation (17%) Health (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (8%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Native Americans (6%)
Some of Daines’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 273: A resolution designating June 2021 as “Great Outdoors Month”.
- S.J.Res. 20: A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States ...
- S.Res. 266: A resolution expressing support for the designation of May 2021 as “National Brain ...
- S. 1897: A bill to direct the Federal Trade Commission to submit to Congress a ...
- S. 1924: A bill to direct the President to enforce the intellectual property provisions of ...
- S.Res. 251: A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate on future international arms control ...
- S. 1933: A bill to clarify the location of a clinic of the Department of ...
From Jan 2015 to Jun 2021, Daines missed 15 of 2,061 roll call votes, which is 0.7%. This is better than the median of 1.6% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: