King was the representative for Iowa’s 4th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2013 to 2020.
He was previously the representative for Iowa’s 5th congressional district as a Republican from 2003 to 2012.
Read our 2019 Report Card for King.
King is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2020 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills King sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 28, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
King was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 2758 (108th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 101 South Vine Street in Glenwood, Iowa, as the “William J. Scherle Post Office Building”.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
King sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of King’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 1273 (116th): Nullifying the impeachment of Donald John Trump.
- H.R. 9062 (116th): To amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to modify provisions relating to ...
- H.R. 9063 (116th): To require agencies of the Federal Government to define the term service ...
- H.R. 9064 (116th): To Amend and Improve Federal law regarding in the areas of immigration, ...
- H.R. 8876 (116th): To authorize the Director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to reclassify ...
- H.R. 8836: HAMLET Act
- H.R. 8838: Legal Immigration for the U.S. Act
From Jan 2003 to Dec 2020, King missed 355 of 12,265 roll call votes, which is 2.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2020. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: