Russell, a Republican, is the representative for Oklahoma's 5th congressional district (view map) and has served since Jan 6, 2015. Russell is next up for reelection in 2018.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Russell.
Russell is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Russell has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Steve Russell sits on the following committees:
Russell was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 194: Federal Agency Mail Management Act of 2017
- H.R. 5785 (114th): To amend title 5, United States Code, to provide for an annuity supplement for certain air traffic controllers.
- H.R. 3059 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4500 SE 28th Street, Del City, Oklahoma, as the James Robert Kalsu Post Office Building.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Russell sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Transportation and Public Works (21%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Agriculture and Food (14%) Education (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) International Affairs (10%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (7%)
Some of Russell’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4563: Georgian Fair Business Practices Sanctions Act of 2017
- H.R. 3790: Federal Firearms Licensee Protection Act
- H.R. 3621: REAPPLY Act of 2017
- H.R. 3062: To require the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to consider the aircraft ...
- H.R. 3023: To amend title 38, United States Code, to eliminate the authority of the ...
- H.R. 3022: To prohibit the awarding of discretionary grants to institutions of higher education that ...
- H.R. 2861: Hire Military Service Members Act
|Russell’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5607: Enhancing Treasury’s Anti-Terror Tools Act
Jul 11, 2016. Passed 362/45.
H.R. 5602: To amend title 31, United States Code, to authorize the Secretary of the Treasury to include all funds when issuing certain geographic targeting orders, and for ...
Jul 11, 2016. Passed 356/47.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2017, Russell missed 42 of 2,009 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 3 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: