Gunderson was the representative for Wisconsin’s 3rd congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1981 to 1996.
Gunderson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1996 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Gunderson sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 1991 to Oct 3, 1996. See full analysis methodology.
Gunderson was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4992 (100th): Telecommunications Accessibility Enhancement Act of 1988
- H.R. 1123 (100th): A bill to amend the Food Security Act of 1985 to extend the date for submitting the report required by the National Commission on Dairy Policy.
- H.R. 3093 (99th): A bill for the relief of Juan Ricardo McRae.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Gunderson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (23%) Science, Technology, Communications (12%) Agriculture and Food (12%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Labor and Employment (11%) Finance and Financial Sector (9%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Commerce (9%)
Some of Gunderson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4302 (104th): Meat, Poultry, and Seafood Inspection Reform Act of 1996
- H.R. 4249 (104th): Animal Welfare Act Amendments of 1996
- H.R. 4250 (104th): To amend title XIX of the Social Security Act to permit a ...
- H.R. 3762 (104th): Dairy and Livestock Producer Protection Act of 1996
- H.R. 3753 (104th): Rural Health Improvement Act of 1996
- H.R. 2939 (104th): Mississippi Interstate Cooperative Resource Agreement Act of 1996
- H.R. 859 (104th): Rural Emergency Access Care Hospital Act of 1995
From Jan 1981 to Sep 1996, Gunderson missed 159 of 7,845 roll call votes, which is 2.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.7% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Sep 1996. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills