Our unique analysis of the bills Symms sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the Senate in 1992. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Symms is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Symms was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S.J.Res. 266 (100th): A joint resolution to designate the week beginning June 12, 1988, as “National Scleroderma Awareness Week.”
- S. 1514 (99th): An original bill to approve the Interstate Cost Estimate and Interstate Substitute Cost Estimate.
- S.J.Res. 75 (98th): A joint resolution to provide for the designation of June 12 through 18, 1983 as “National Scleroderma Week”.
- S.J.Res. 32 (98th): A joint resolution to provide for the designation of May 1983, as “National Arthritis Month”.
- S. 2574 (97th): Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1982
- S.J.Res. 57 (97th): A joint resolution to provide for the designation of February 7 through 13, 1982, as “National Scleroderma Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
Symms sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (31%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (13%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (13%) Transportation and Public Works (9%) Health (9%) Environmental Protection (8%) Social Welfare (8%) International Affairs (8%)
Some of Symms’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3364 (102nd): A bill to amend certain provisions of law relating to establishment, in ...
- S.Con.Res. 139 (102nd): A concurrent resolution to authorize a correction in the enrollment of H.R. ...
- S. 3159 (102nd): Progressive Endangered Species Act of 1992
- S. 3077 (102nd): A bill to provide for the duty-free liquidation or reliquidation of, and ...
- S. 2655 (102nd): A bill to extend until January 1, 1995, the existing suspension of ...
- S.Con.Res. 110 (102nd): A concurrent resolution to authorize the construction of a monument on the ...
- S. 2326 (102nd): No Net Loss of Private Lands Act
View All » (including bills from previous years)
From Jan 1981 to Oct 1992, Symms missed 239 of 4,355 roll call votes, which is 5.5%. This is on par with the median of 4.7% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- Congressional Biographical Directory for elected positions
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills