McKinney, a Republican, was the representative for Connecticut's 4th congressional district from 1971 to 1988.
McKinney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1988 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McKinney sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
McKinney was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1757 (99th): A bill for the relief of Leonard Leslie Gambie.
- H.R. 4569 (97th): A bill to designate the United States Post Office Building in Hartford, Connecticut, as the “William R. Cotter Federal Building”.
- H.R. 4013 (96th): A bill for the relief of Jozef Swiderski.
- H.R. 3343 (96th): A bill to permit civil suits under section 1979 of the Revised Statutes (42 U.S.C. 1983) against any person acting under color of any law or custom ...
- H.R. 1936 (95th): An Act for the relief of Lee So Ryung.
- H.R. 8119 (94th): A bill for the relief of Fernando Alves Macos.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McKinney sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (17%) Health (17%) Private Legislation (15%) Labor and Employment (12%) Housing and Community Development (10%) Immigration (10%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Social Welfare (10%)
Some of McKinney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2265 (100th): Amerasian Immigration Amendments of 1987
- H.R. 2180 (100th): A bill for the relief of Ivan Lendl.
- H.R. 1916 (100th): A bill for the relief of Bernard E. Teichgraeber; estate of Barbara ...
- H.R. 1806 (100th): A bill to repeal the special treatment provided by the Tax Reform ...
- H.R. 1698 (100th): Housing and Community Development Act of 1987
- H.R. 1599 (100th): Product Liability Reform Act of 1987
- H.R. 1178 (100th): A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to impose ...
From Jan 1971 to May 1987, McKinney missed 1,469 of 8,512 roll call votes, which is 17.3%. This is much worse than the median of 5.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in May 1987. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills