Collins is the senior senator from Maine and is a Republican. She has served since Jan 7, 1997. Collins is next up for reelection in 2026 and serves until Jan 3, 2027.
Collins is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Collins has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 7, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Susan Collins sits on the following committees:
Collins was the primary sponsor of 48 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 1828: Helping American Victims Afflicted by Neurological Attacks Act of 2021
- S. 1714: HAVANA Act of 2021
- S. 723: PPP Extension Act of 2021
- S. 3703 (116th): Promoting Alzheimer’s Awareness to Prevent Elder Abuse Act
- S. 4460 (116th): State Veterans Homes Domiciliary Care Flexibility Act
- S. 959 (116th): Smithsonian American Women’s History Museum Act
- S. 4773 (116th): Continuing the Paycheck Protection Program Act
Does 48 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Collins sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Collins recently introduced the following legislation:
- S.Res. 859: A resolution designating December 17, 2022, as “National Wreaths Across America Day”.
- S. 5070: Relief for Farmers Hit with PFAS Act
- S.Res. 794: A resolution proclaiming the week of September 26 through September 30, 2022, to …
- S. 4618: Supporting Seniors with Opioid Use Disorder Act of 2022
- S. 4574: Enhanced Election Security and Protection Act
- S. 4573: Electoral Count Reform and Presidential Transition Improvement Act of 2022
- S. 4446: Modernizing the Accelerated Approval Pathway Act of 2022
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2022, Collins missed 0 of 8,464 roll call votes, which is 0.0%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: