DelBene is the representative for Washington’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Nov 13, 2012. DelBene is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for DelBene.
DelBene is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills DelBene has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 14, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Suzan DelBene sits on the following committees:
DelBene was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 8810 (116th): National Landslide Preparedness Act
- H.R. 5368 (116th): Faster Access to Federal Student Aid Act of 2019
- H.R. 1261 (116th): National Landslide Preparedness Act
- H.R. 1380 (115th): Timber Innovation Act of 2017
- H.R. 1103 (115th): Child Abuse Accountability Enhancement Act
- H.R. 908 (113th): Green Mountain Lookout Heritage Protection Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
DelBene sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (24%) Health (20%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (13%) Science, Technology, Communications (9%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Labor and Employment (9%) Emergency Management (7%)
Some of DelBene’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3173: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to establish requirements with ...
- H.R. 3034: To amend title 28, United States Code, provide an additional place for holding ...
- H.R. 2573: To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to reform the low-income housing ...
- H.Res. 295: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the United States Trade ...
- H.R. 1816: Information Transparency & Personal Data Control Act
- H.R. 981: IoT Readiness Act of 2021
- H.R. 749: Remote Seafood Employee Meals Tax Parity Act
From Nov 2012 to May 2021, DelBene missed 25 of 4,892 roll call votes, which is 0.5%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: