Bonamici is the representative for Oregon’s 1st congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. She has served since Feb 7, 2012. Bonamici is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Bonamici.
Bonamici is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Bonamici has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 22, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Suzanne Bonamici sits on the following committees:
Bonamici was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4334 (116th): Supporting Older Americans Act of 2020
- H.R. 6203 (116th): COVID-19 Child Nutrition Response Act
- H.R. 6084 (116th): Water Power Research and Development Act
- H.R. 3969 (116th): SOS 2.0 Act
- H.R. 312 (115th): Tsunami Warning, Education, and Research Act of 2017
- H.R. 34 (114th): 21st Century Cures Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Bonamici sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Environmental Protection (20%) Education (20%) Labor and Employment (20%) Finance and Financial Sector (11%) Health (9%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Social Welfare (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%)
Some of Bonamici’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 465: Recognizing World Oceans Day and the necessity to protect, conserve, maintain, and rebuild ...
- H.R. 3748: To improve data collection and monitoring of the Great Lakes, oceans, bays, estuaries, ...
- H.R. 3564: To repeal the temporary rule allowing full deduction of business meals and to ...
- H.R. 3362: To amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to require institutions of higher ...
- H.Res. 385: Honoring the life and legacy of award-winning children’s author Beverly Cleary.
- H.R. 2865: To amend the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017 to address ...
- H.R. 2750: Blue Carbon for Our Planet Act
From Feb 2012 to Jun 2021, Bonamici missed 45 of 5,495 roll call votes, which is 0.8%. This is better than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: