Read our 2016 Report Card for Baldwin.
Our unique analysis of the bills Baldwin has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into her position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Baldwin is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tammy Baldwin sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Member, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Department of Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs, and Related Agencies
Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Member, Subcommittee on Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries, and Coast Guard
- Member, Subcommittee on Space, Science, and Competitiveness
- Member, Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Baldwin was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1641 (114th): Jason Simcakoski Memorial Opioid Safety Act
- H.R. 797 (110th): Dr. James Allen Veteran Vision Equity Act of 2007
- H.R. 1132 (110th): National Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program Reauthorization Act of 2007
- H.R. 1760 (109th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard in Madison, Wisconsin, as the “Robert M. La Follette, ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Baldwin sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (26%) Education (19%) Armed Forces and National Security (14%) Commerce (8%) Transportation and Public Works (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (8%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (7%)
Some of Baldwin’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1938: Stronger Way Act
- S. 1813: Military Retirement Credit for Distance Learning Act
- S. 1808: Federal Perkins Loan Program Extension Act of 2017
- S. 1788: Worker Owned Wealth Act
- S. 1744: Brokaw Act
- S.Res. 226: A resolution designating the week of July 17 through July 21, 2017, as ...
- S. 1570: LGBT Data Inclusion Act
|Baldwin’s Vote||Vote Description|
On the Nomination PN366: Marshall Billingslea, of Virginia, to be Assistant Secretary for Terrorist Financing, Department of the Treasury
Jun 22, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 65/35.
On the Nomination PN41: Daniel Coats, of Indiana, to be Director of National Intelligence
Mar 15, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 85/12.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
S. 2328: National Sea Grant College Program Amendments Act of 2015
Jun 29, 2016. Motion Agreed to 68/30.
The Puerto Rico Oversight, Management, and Economic Stability Act (PROMESA) —designated as Pub.L. 114–187 and originally as H.R. 5278— is a federal law enacted by the United States Congress that establishes an oversight board, a process for restructuring debt, and expedited procedures for approving critical ...
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2013 to Oct 2017, Baldwin missed 3 of 1,383 roll call votes, which is 0.2%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 51 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: