Read our 2019 Report Card for Duckworth.
Duckworth is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Duckworth has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jan 21, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tammy Duckworth sits on the following committees:
Duckworth was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- S. 1739: Department of Energy National Labs Jobs ACCESS Act
- S. 2679 (115th): Veterans Small Business Enhancement Act of 2018
- S. 1050 (115th): Chinese-American World War II Veteran Congressional Gold Medal Act
- S. 496: A bill to repeal the rule issued by the Federal Highway Administration and the Federal Transit Administration entitled “Metropolitan Planning Organization Coordination and Planning Area Reform”.
- H.R. 4797 (114th): GET THE LEAD OUT Act of 2016
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Duckworth sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Armed Forces and National Security (21%) Transportation and Public Works (15%) Health (14%) Environmental Protection (13%) Crime and Law Enforcement (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (10%) Education (9%) Government Operations and Politics (8%)
Some of Duckworth’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3088: ACHA Act
- S. 3074: Liver Illness Visibility, Education, and Research Act of 2019
- S.Res. 442: A resolution designating November 2019 as “National Runaway Prevention Month”.
- S. 2825: Veteran Employment and Child Care Access Act of 2019
- S. 2822: Post-9/11 Veteran Suicide Prevention Counseling Act
- S. 2821: Access to Contraception Expansion for Veterans Act
- S. 2797: Military Family Parole in Place Act
From Jan 2017 to Jan 2020, Duckworth missed 97 of 1,053 roll call votes, which is 9.2%. This is much worse than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: