Lieu is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lieu has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 13, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Lieu was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 7881: Empowering Olympic, Paralympic, and Amateur Athletes Act of 2020
- H.R. 4966 (114th): Preventing Superbugs and Protecting Patients Act
- H.R. 3484 (114th): Los Angeles Homeless Veterans Leasing Act of 2016
- H.R. 3116 (114th): Quarterly Financial Report Reauthorization Act
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lieu sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (23%) Government Operations and Politics (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (15%) Crime and Law Enforcement (15%) Commerce (10%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%) Health (5%)
Some of Lieu’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 23: Inspector General Protection Act
- H.R. 8694: Oversight.gov Authorization Act of 2020
- H.R. 8674: Prevent Homelessness Act of 2020
- H.R. 8609: Protect Peaceful Protests Act
- H.R. 8458: Protections and Transparency in the Workplace Act
- H.Con.Res. 118: Directing the Secretary of the Senate to make a correction in the enrollment ...
- H.R. 7880: Reopen Small Businesses Safely Act
From Jan 2015 to Jan 2021, Lieu missed 280 of 3,506 roll call votes, which is 8.0%. This is much worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: