Read our 2017 Report Card for Lieu.
Lieu is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lieu has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Ted Lieu sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on The Middle East and North Africa
House Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations
Lieu was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4966 (114th): Preventing Superbugs and Protecting Patients Act
- H.R. 3484 (114th): Los Angeles Homeless Veterans Leasing Act of 2016
- H.R. 3116 (114th): Quarterly Financial Report Reauthorization Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lieu sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (23%) Armed Forces and National Security (18%) Crime and Law Enforcement (18%) Commerce (14%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Health (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%) Energy (5%)
Some of Lieu’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 928: Of inquiry requesting the President and directing the Attorney General to transmit, respectively, ...
- H.R. 6044: ENCRYPT Act of 2018
- H.R. 5638: Driftnet Modernization and Bycatch Reduction Act
- H.R. 5434: Preventing Preemptive War in North Korea Act of 2018
- H.R. 5433: Hack Your State Department Act
- H.R. 5293: To make technical amendments to update statutory references to certain provisions that were ...
- H.R. 5166: Protecting Consumer Information Act of 2018
|Lieu’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 612: A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 1300 Victoria Street in Laredo, Texas, as the “George P. Kazen Federal Building ...
Dec 8, 2016. Passed 360/61.
H.R. 4127: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Dec 1, 2015. Passed 364/58.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
From Jan 2015 to Jul 2018, Lieu missed 233 of 2,363 roll call votes, which is 9.9%. This is much worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: