Read our 2018 Report Card for Lieu.
Lieu is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lieu has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to May 20, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Ted Lieu sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Middle East, North Africa, and International Terrorism
- Member, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
- House Committee on the Judiciary
Lieu was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4966 (114th): Preventing Superbugs and Protecting Patients Act
- H.R. 3484 (114th): Los Angeles Homeless Veterans Leasing Act of 2016
- H.R. 3116 (114th): Quarterly Financial Report Reauthorization Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lieu sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (24%) Armed Forces and National Security (16%) Crime and Law Enforcement (14%) Government Operations and Politics (14%) Commerce (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Energy (6%) Health (6%)
Some of Lieu’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Con.Res. 36: Supporting efforts to enact a bold jobs and infrastructure package that benefits all ...
- H.R. 2360: Renewable Energy for Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands Act
- H.Res. 324: Recognizing the importance of the United States-Israel economic relationship and encouraging new areas ...
- H.R. 2264: Bear Protection Act of 2019
- H.R. 2016: To modify the authorized uses of certain property conveyed by the United States ...
- H.R. 1978: Fighting Homelessness Through Services and Housing Act
- H.R. 1979: Driftnet Modernization and Bycatch Reduction Act
From Jan 2015 to May 2019, Lieu missed 240 of 2,756 roll call votes, which is 8.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: