Lieu is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lieu has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 2, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Ted Lieu sits on the following committees:
Lieu was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 711: West Los Angeles VA Campus Improvement Act of 2021
- H.R. 8694 (116th): Oversight.gov Authorization Act of 2020
- H.R. 7881 (116th): Empowering Olympic, Paralympic, and Amateur Athletes Act of 2020
- H.R. 4966 (114th): Preventing Superbugs and Protecting Patients Act
- H.R. 3484 (114th): Los Angeles Homeless Veterans Leasing Act of 2016
- H.R. 3116 (114th): Quarterly Financial Report Reauthorization Act
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lieu sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Crime and Law Enforcement (23%) International Affairs (19%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Government Operations and Politics (12%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) Commerce (11%) Housing and Community Development (6%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%)
Recently Introduced Bills
Lieu recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 9061: Facial Recognition Act of 2022
- H.R. 8568: Russia is a State Sponsor of Terrorism Act
- H.R. 8309: To amend the Empowering Olympic, Paralympic, and Amateur Athletes Act of 2020 to …
- H.Res. 1195: Reaffirming the importance of the United States to promote the safety, health, and …
- H.R. 7940: Correctional Facility Disaster Preparedness Act of 2022
- H.R. 7601: Inspector General Notification Act
- H.R. 7553: Warrant for Metadata Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2022, Lieu missed 288 of 4,421 roll call votes, which is 6.5%. This is much worse than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: