Read our 2020 Report Card for Lieu.
Lieu is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Lieu has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Nov 26, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Ted Lieu sits on the following committees:
Lieu was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 711: West Los Angeles VA Campus Improvement Act of 2021
- H.R. 8694 (116th): Oversight.gov Authorization Act of 2020
- H.R. 7881 (116th): Empowering Olympic, Paralympic, and Amateur Athletes Act of 2020
- H.R. 1487 (116th): Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area Boundary Adjustment Study Act
- H.R. 4966 (114th): Preventing Superbugs and Protecting Patients Act
- H.R. 3484 (114th): Los Angeles Homeless Veterans Leasing Act of 2016
- H.R. 3116 (114th): Quarterly Financial Report Reauthorization Act
Does 7 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Lieu sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
International Affairs (21%) Crime and Law Enforcement (18%) Government Operations and Politics (16%) Armed Forces and National Security (12%) Commerce (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Science, Technology, Communications (6%) Animals (5%)
Some of Lieu’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5958: Increasing Penalties for Offshore Polluters Act
- H.R. 5798: Arms Sale Oversight Act
- H.R. 5524: Protecting Data at the Border Act
- H.R. 5494: Protect Peaceful Protests Act
- H.R. 5275: Accountability in Assignment Restrictions Act
- H.R. 5076: Preventing Presidential Election Interference Act
- H.R. 5075: Expediting Civil Litigation Against the Executive Act of 2021
From Jan 2015 to Dec 2021, Lieu missed 286 of 3,890 roll call votes, which is 7.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: