Poe, a Republican, is the representative for Texas's 2nd congressional district (view map) and has served since Jan 4, 2005. Poe is next up for reelection in 2018.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Poe.
Poe is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Poe has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Ted Poe sits on the following committees:
- House Committee on Foreign Affairs
House Committee on the Judiciary
- Member, Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property, and the Internet
- Member, Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations
Poe was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.R. 5422 (114th): To ensure funding for the National Human Trafficking Hotline, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 3766 (114th): Foreign Aid Transparency and Accountability Act of 2016
- H.R. 4602 (114th): Justice for All Reauthorization Act of 2016
- H.R. 181 (114th): Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act of 2015
- H.R. 296 (114th): Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act of 2015
- H.R. 3706 (113th): Victims of Child Abuse Act Reauthorization Act of 2013
- H.R. 6364 (112th): World War I Centennial Commission Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Poe sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Poe’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4238: Iranian Proxies Terrorist Sanctions Act of 2017
- H.Res. 594: Supporting the goals and ideals of October as “National Domestic Violence Awareness Month” ...
- H.R. 4118: Master Limited Partnerships Parity Act
- H.Res. 576: Reaffirming the strategic partnership between the United States of America and the country ...
- H.R. 3940: Veterans Education Disaster Assistance Act
- H.Res. 547: Expressing support for designation of February 3, 2018, as “United States Missing Persons ...
- H.R. 3824: Texas Flood Accountability Act of 2017
|Poe’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 4889: Kelsey Smith Act
May 23, 2016. Failed 229/158.
H.R. 3038: Highway and Transportation Funding Act of 2015, Part II
Jul 15, 2015. Passed 312/119.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 35: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2015. Failed 203/224.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.R. 4681 (113th): Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2015
Dec 10, 2014. Passed 325/100.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2005 to Nov 2017, Poe missed 541 of 9,517 roll call votes, which is 5.7%. This is much worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 107 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: