Our unique analysis of the bills McCotter sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). McCotter is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
McCotter was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 2215 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 140 Merriman Road in Garden City, Michigan, as the “John J. Shivnen Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if it is enacted or if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted, as determined by an automated text analysis.
McCotter sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (22%) International Affairs (21%) Government Operations and Politics (19%) Health (10%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Science, Technology, Communications (5%)
Some of McCotter’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 416 (112th): Condemning Communist China’s discrimination, harassment, imprisonment, torture, and execution of its prisoners ...
- H.R. 2889 (112th): Save Social Security Act
- H.R. 2261 (112th): To withhold United States contributions to the United Nations or a United ...
- H.R. 1782 (112th): To implement the recommendations of the report of the Government Accountability Office ...
- H.Res. 241 (112th): Honoring the members of the United States Armed Forces, the intelligence community, ...
- H.Res. 166 (112th): Expressing support for designation of March 2011 as “National Kidney Cancer and ...
- H.R. 781 (112th): Veterans’ Employment Transition Support Act of 2011
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|McCotter’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5972 (112th): Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2013
Jun 29, 2012. Passed 261/163.
S. 365 (112th): Budget Control Act of 2011
Aug 1, 2011. Passed 269/161.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 (Pub.L. 112–25, S. 365, 125 Stat. 240, enacted August 2, 2011) is a federal statute in the United States that was signed into law by President Barack Obama on August 2, 2011. The Act brought conclusion to the United ...
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 15, 2011. Passed 271/158.
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
H.Res. 1031 (110th): Providing for the adoption of the resolution (H. Res. 895) establishing within the House of Representatives an ...
Mar 11, 2008. Passed 229/182.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 2003 to Jun 2012, McCotter missed 160 of 7,364 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jun 2012. ProPublica has tracked 2 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: