McCotter was the representative for Michigan’s 11th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2003 to 2012.
McCotter is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2013 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills McCotter sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
McCotter was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 2215 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 140 Merriman Road in Garden City, Michigan, as the “John J. Shivnen Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
McCotter sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (22%) International Affairs (21%) Government Operations and Politics (19%) Health (10%) Economics and Public Finance (9%) Armed Forces and National Security (7%) Crime and Law Enforcement (7%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (5%)
Some of McCotter’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 416 (112th): Condemning Communist China’s discrimination, harassment, imprisonment, torture, and execution of its prisoners ...
- H.R. 2889 (112th): Save Social Security Act
- H.R. 2261 (112th): To withhold United States contributions to the United Nations or a United ...
- H.R. 1782 (112th): To implement the recommendations of the report of the Government Accountability Office ...
- H.Res. 241 (112th): Honoring the members of the United States Armed Forces, the intelligence community, ...
- H.Res. 166 (112th): Expressing support for designation of March 2011 as “National Kidney Cancer and ...
- H.R. 781 (112th): Veterans’ Employment Transition Support Act of 2011
From Jan 2003 to Jun 2012, McCotter missed 160 of 7,364 roll call votes, which is 2.2%. This is on par with the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jun 2012. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: