He was previously the representative for Florida’s 21st congressional district as a Democrat from 2013 to 2016; and the representative for Florida’s 19th congressional district as a Democrat from 2010 to 2012.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Deutch.
Deutch is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Deutch has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to May 24, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Theodore Deutch sits on the following committees:
- Chair, House Committee on Ethics
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Chair, Subcommittee on Middle East, North Africa, and International Terrorism
- Member, Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, Energy, and the Environment
- House Committee on the Judiciary
Deutch was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6878: Eliminating Kickbacks in Recovery Act of 2018
- H.R. 3304 (113th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
- H.R. 2559 (112th): Helping Homeless Heroes Act of 2011
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Deutch sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Deutch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2913: To promote security and energy partnerships in the Eastern Mediterranean, and for other ...
- H.R. 2868: To incentivize States and localities to improve access to justice, and for other ...
- H.R. 2547: Protecting American Votes Act
- H.R. 2302: Protecting and Preserving Social Security Act
- H.R. 2301: Seniors Fraud Prevention Act of 2019
- H.R. 1894: For the relief of Claudio Marcelo Rojas.
- H.R. 1837: United States-Israel Cooperation Enhancement and Regional Security Act
From Apr 2010 to May 2019, Deutch missed 327 of 6,036 roll call votes, which is 5.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: