He was previously the representative for Florida’s 21st congressional district as a Democrat from 2013 to 2016; and the representative for Florida’s 19th congressional district as a Democrat from 2010 to 2012.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Deutch.
Deutch is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Deutch has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Dec 6, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Theodore Deutch sits on the following committees:
- Chair, House Committee on Ethics
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Chair, Subcommittee on Middle East, North Africa, and International Terrorism
- Member, Subcommittee on Europe, Eurasia, Energy, and the Environment
- House Committee on the Judiciary
Deutch was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 724: Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act
- H.R. 6878: Eliminating Kickbacks in Recovery Act of 2018
- H.R. 3304 (113th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
- H.R. 2559 (112th): Helping Homeless Heroes Act of 2011
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Deutch sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Deutch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 752: Supporting the rights of the people of Iran to free expression, condemning the ...
- H.R. 4862: United States-Jordan Defense Cooperation Extension Act
- H.R. 4644: Libya Stabilization Act
- H.R. 4018: To provide that the amount of time that an elderly offender must serve ...
- H.R. 3741: National Center for the Right to Counsel Act
- H.R. 3714: EAGLES Act of 2019
- H.Res. 458: Reaffirming the strong partnership between Tunisia and the United States and supporting the ...
From Apr 2010 to Dec 2019, Deutch missed 332 of 6,461 roll call votes, which is 5.1%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: