Deutch is the representative for Florida’s 22nd congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2017. Deutch is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
He was previously the representative for Florida’s 21st congressional district as a Democrat from 2013 to 2016; and the representative for Florida’s 19th congressional district as a Democrat from 2010 to 2012.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Deutch.
Deutch is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Deutch has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to May 7, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Theodore “Ted” Deutch sits on the following committees:
Deutch was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6813 (116th): Promoting Alzheimer’s Awareness to Prevent Elder Abuse Act
- H.R. 724 (116th): Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture Act
- H.R. 6878 (115th): Eliminating Kickbacks in Recovery Act of 2018
- H.R. 3304 (113th): National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2014
- H.R. 2559 (112th): Helping Homeless Heroes Act of 2011
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Deutch sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Deutch’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2510: To regulate large capacity ammunition feeding devices.
- H.Res. 287: Providing amounts for the expenses of the Committee on Ethics in the One ...
- H.R. 2307: To create a Carbon Dividend Trust Fund for the American people in order ...
- H.R. 2013: To establish the Climate Change Advisory Commission to develop recommendations, frameworks, and guidelines ...
- H.R. 1630: Uyghur Human Rights Protection Act
- H.R. 1408: EQUAL Defense Act of 2021
- H.R. 1229: EAGLES Act of 2021
From Apr 2010 to Apr 2021, Deutch missed 348 of 6,892 roll call votes, which is 5.0%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: