Allen was the representative for Maine’s 1st congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1997 to 2008.
Allen is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Allen sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 7, 2003 to Dec 10, 2008. See full analysis methodology.
Allen sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (20%) Economics and Public Finance (17%) Health (13%) Science, Technology, Communications (13%) Commerce (12%) Social Welfare (9%) Finance and Financial Sector (8%) Law (7%)
Some of Allen’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6605 (110th): Home Heating Fuels Cost Relief Act of 2008
- H.Con.Res. 337 (110th): Honoring Seeds of Peace for its 15th anniversary as an organization promoting ...
- H.R. 5820 (110th): Traditional Use Protection Act of 2008
- H.R. 5682 (110th): Rural America Communication Expansion for the Future Act of 2008
- H.R. 5643 (110th): First-Time Homebuyers’ Tax Credit Act of 2008
- H.R. 5543 (110th): Women’s Retirement Security Act of 2008
- H.R. 5547 (110th): Consumer Protection and Cost Accountability Act
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2008, Allen missed 157 of 7,708 roll call votes, which is 2.0%. This is better than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: