Downey was the representative for New York’s 2nd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 1975 to 1992.
Downey is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1992 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Downey sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Downey was the primary sponsor of 7 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 141 (102nd): Designating the week beginning May 13, 1991, as “National Senior Nutrition Week”.
- H.R. 3697 (98th): Fire Island National Seashore Amendments of 1984
- H.J.Res. 452 (98th): A joint resolution recognizing the important contributions of the arts to a complete education.
- H.J.Res. 330 (98th): A joint resolution to provide for the designation of August 20, 1983, as “National Volunteer Firefighter Recognition Day”.
- H.R. 6044 (96th): A bill for the relief of Woo Jung He.
- H.R. 8319 (96th): A bill to designate the federal building at 26 Federal Plaza in the Borough of Manhattan, New York, New York as the “Jacob K. Javits Federal Building”.
- H.R. 3307 (95th): A bill for the relief of Anthony Casamento.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Downey sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Downey’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6051 (102nd): Emergency Jobless Benefits Extension Act of 1992
- H.R. 5956 (102nd): National Grandparent Resource Center Act of 1992
- H.R. 5847 (102nd): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to clarify the exemption ...
- H.R. 5846 (102nd): Emergency Jobless Benefits and Transitional Employment Act of 1992
- H.R. 5600 (102nd): Children’s Initiative
- H.R. 5235 (102nd): Defense Diversification Act of 1992
- H.R. 5219 (102nd): Defense Industrial Innovation Act of 1992
From Jan 1975 to Oct 1992, Downey missed 473 of 9,472 roll call votes, which is 5.0%. This is on par with the median of 4.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Oct 1992. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills