Evans was the representative for Delaware’s at-large district and was a Republican. He served from 1977 to 1982.
Evans is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 1982 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Evans sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 4, 1977 to Dec 21, 1982. See full analysis methodology.
Evans was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 5228 (96th): A bill to designate the building known as the Federal Building in Wilmington, Delaware, as the “J. Caleb Boggs Building”.
- H.R. 4018 (95th): Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Evans sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (24%) Government Operations and Politics (21%) Law (16%) Education (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (8%) Transportation and Public Works (5%) Finance and Financial Sector (5%)
Some of Evans’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.J.Res. 505 (97th): A joint resolution to authorize and request the President to designate the ...
- H.J.Res. 455 (97th): A joint resolution providing for the designation of the week beginning July ...
- H.R. 3887 (97th): A bill to provide for the establishment of a veterans’ cemetery in ...
- H.R. 3252 (97th): Coastal Barrier Resources Act
- H.Con.Res. 412 (96th): A concurrent resolution expressing the sense of the Congress that state election ...
- H.R. 6385 (96th): A bill to amend section 662(a) of the Foreign Assistance Act of ...
- H.R. 6269 (96th): A bill to extend the temporary suspension of duty on doxorubicin hydrochloride ...
From Jan 1977 to Dec 1982, Evans missed 298 of 3,628 roll call votes, which is 8.2%. This is on par with the median of 7.8% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1982. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GovInfo.gov, for sponsored bills