Garrett was the representative for Virginia’s 5th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2017 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Garrett.
Garrett is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Garrett sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Garrett was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3184 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 180 McCormick Road in Charlottesville, Virginia, as the “Captain Humayun Khan Post Office”.
- H.R. 3183 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 13683 James Madison Highway in Palmyra, Virginia, as the “U.S. Navy Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby …
- H.J.Res. 117 (115th): Condemning the violence and domestic terrorist attack that took place during events between August 11 and August 12, 2017, in Charlottesville, Virginia, recognizing the first responders who …
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Garrett sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Garrett recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.Res. 1123 (115th): Recognizing the systematic abductions of Japanese citizens by North Korea.
- H.R. 6556 (115th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at …
- H.R. 6407 (115th): COVS Act
- H.Res. 992 (115th): Condemning the actions taken by the Lao People’s Democratic Republic against the …
- H.R. 5890 (115th): Assisting States’ Implementation of Plans of Safe Care Act
- H.Res. 862 (115th): READ IT Resolution
- H.R. 5561 (115th): Barbara Johns Congressional Gold Medal Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2017 to Dec 2018, Garrett missed 131 of 1,210 roll call votes, which is 10.8%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: