Read our 2017 Report Card for Garrett.
Garrett is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Garrett has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Thomas Garrett sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Education and the Workforce
- Member, Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education
- Member, Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce Development
House Committee on Foreign Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations
- Member, Subcommittee on Terrorism, Nonproliferation, and Trade
House Committee on Homeland Security
- Member, Subcommittee on Emergency Preparedness, Response, and Communications
- Member, Subcommittee on Oversight and Management Efficiency
Garrett was the primary sponsor of 2 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3183: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 13683 James Madison Highway in Palmyra, Virginia, as the “U.S. Navy Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby Post ...
- H.J.Res. 117: Condemning the violence and domestic terrorist attack that took place during events between August 11 and August 12, 2017, in Charlottesville, Virginia, recognizing the first responders who lost ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Garrett sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Garrett’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6556: To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 301 ...
- H.R. 6407: COVS Act
- H.Res. 992: Condemning the actions taken by the Lao People’s Democratic Republic against the Hmong ...
- H.R. 5890: Assisting States’ Implementation of Plans of Safe Care Act
- H.Res. 862: READ IT Resolution
- H.R. 5561: Barbara Johns Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.Res. 801: READ IT Resolution
|Garrett’s Vote||Vote Description|
S. 1182: The American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
Jul 25, 2018. Passed 366/52.
The House Amendment to S. 1182 extends the National Flood Insurance Program, which is set to expire July 31, 2018, through November 30, 2018. This amendment does not include any reforms to the program; it is only a short-term extension. The NFIP was originally set ...
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018; SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Honoring Hometown Heroes Act
Feb 9, 2018. Passed 240/186.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
H.R. 4667: Making further supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2018, for disaster assistance for Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria, and calendar year 2017 wildfires, ...
Dec 21, 2017. Passed 251/169.
H.R. 1039: Probation Officer Protection Act of 2017
May 19, 2017. Passed 229/177.
H.R. 1039 amends the federal criminal code to authorize a probation officer to arrest a person, without warrant, if there is probable cause to believe that person forcibly assaulted or obstructed a probation officer while performing their official duties. The bill also would direct the ...
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
From Jan 2017 to Jul 2018, Garrett missed 121 of 1,089 roll call votes, which is 11.1%. This is much worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: