Our unique analysis of the bills Manton sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below was a member of the House of Representatives in 1998. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Manton is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Manton was the primary sponsor of 13 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- H.J.Res. 401 (103rd): Designating the months of March 1995 and March 1996 as “Irish-American Heritage Month”.
- H.J.Res. 246 (103rd): To designate the month of March 1994 as “Irish-American Heritage Month”.
- H.J.Res. 78 (103rd): Designating the weeks beginning May 23, 1993, and May 15, 1994, as “Emergency Medical Services Week”.
- H.R. 5862 (102nd): To amend title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 to ensure an equitable and timely distribution of benefits to public safety ...
- H.J.Res. 500 (102nd): Designating March 1993 as “Irish-American Heritage Month”.
- H.J.Res. 350 (102nd): Designating March 1992 as “Irish-American Heritage Month”.
- H.J.Res. 109 (102nd): Designating the week beginning May 12, 1991 as “Emergency Medical Services Week”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Manton sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (20%) Crime and Law Enforcement (17%) Environmental Protection (11%) Transportation and Public Works (11%) Law (10%) Commerce (10%) International Affairs (10%) Foreign Trade and International Finance (10%)
Some of Manton’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4117 (105th): Airport Environmental and Community Fairness Act
- H.Con.Res. 259 (105th): Recognizing and honoring the people of the Dodecanesian Islands for their stance ...
- H.R. 3595 (105th): Superfund Improvement Act of 1998
- H.R. 3253 (105th): Private Officers Protection Act of 1998
- H.R. 3179 (105th): Airport Environmental and Community Fairness Act
- H.Res. 285 (105th): Requiring the Chief Administrative Officer of the House of Representatives to meet ...
- H.R. 538 (105th): Explosives Fingerprinting Act
From Jan 1985 to Dec 1998, Manton missed 454 of 7,314 roll call votes, which is 6.2%. This is much worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 1998. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- Congress-Legislators, a community project collecting election information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills