Read our 2017 Report Card for Rooney.
Rooney is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Rooney has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Thomas Rooney sits on the following committees:
- House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
House Committee on Appropriations
- Vice Chair, Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs
- Member, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies
Rooney was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1791 (112th): To designate the United States courthouse under construction at 101 South United States Route 1 in Fort Pierce, Florida, as the “Alto Lee Adams, Sr., United States ...
- H.R. 347 (112th): Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011
- H.R. 2470 (111th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 19190 Cochran Boulevard FRNT in Port Charlotte, Florida, as the “Lieutenant Commander Roy H. Boehm ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Rooney sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Rooney’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 3884: National Child Identification Assistance Act
- H.R. 3509: CITRUS Act
- H.Res. 467: Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the United Nations Security ...
- H.R. 3047: To correct the boundaries of John H. Chafee Coastal Barrier Resources System Units ...
- H.Res. 313: REPAIR Resolution
- H.R. 1354: Stop Trafficking in Fentanyl Act of 2017
- H.Res. 77: Encouraging the development of best business practices to fully utilize the potential of ...
|Rooney’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1370: Department of Homeland Security Blue Campaign Authorization Act of 2017
Dec 21, 2017. Passed 231/188.
This bill was the vehicle for passage of legislation to avert a government shutdown. The final legislation included * the Further Additional Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018, which funds the government through January 19, 2018 * funding for a missile defense system * funding the Children’s ...
S. 764: A bill to reauthorize and amend the National Sea Grant College Program Act, and for other purposes.
Jul 14, 2016. Passed 306/117.
This bill was the vehicle for passage of the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act, which is the form it was enacted it. Prior to amendments, the bill regarded defunding Planned Parenthood and the National Sea Grant College Program. As enacted, the bill created national ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 35: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2015, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2015. Failed 203/224.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 2362 (112th): Indian Tribal Trade and Investment Demonstration Project Act of 2011
Jul 23, 2012. Failed 222/160.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
From Jan 2009 to Feb 2018, Rooney missed 198 of 6,580 roll call votes, which is 3.0%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: