Rep. Thomas Suozzi
Former Representative for New York’s 3rd District
pronounced TOM-iss // SWAH-zee
Suozzi was the representative for New York’s 3rd congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2017 to 2022.
Read our 2022 Report Card for Suozzi.
Suozzi is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2022 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Suozzi sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Dec 27, 2022. See full analysis methodology.
Suozzi was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3642 (117th): Harlem Hellfighters Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.R. 1179 (117th): Iran Hostages Congressional Gold Medal Act
- H.R. 263 (116th): To rename the Oyster Bay National Wildlife Refuge as the Congressman Lester Wolff Oyster Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
- H.R. 3157 (115th): Merchant Marine Academy Improvement Act of 2017
Does 4 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Suozzi sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Suozzi recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 9322 (117th): To authorize the extension of nondiscriminatory treatment (normal trade relations treatment) to …
- H.R. 7608 (117th): State Registries for Advance Directives Act of 2022
- H.R. 7371 (117th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at …
- H.R. 5964 (117th): Improving Protections for Midshipmen Act
- H.Res. 756 (117th): Supporting the designation of October 27, 2021, as “National Civics Day”.
- H.R. 5389 (117th): REDUCE Act of 2021
- H.Res. 664 (117th): Commemorating the anniversary of the invasion of Poland and recognizing the importance …
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2017 to Dec 2022, Suozzi missed 66 of 3,162 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2022. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses, major life events, and running for higher office.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: