Tancredo was the representative for Colorado’s 6th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 1999 to 2008.
Tancredo is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2008 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Tancredo sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Tancredo was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1577 (108th): To designate the visitor center in Organ Pipe National Monument in Arizona as the “Kris Eggle Visitor Center”, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5531 (107th): Sudan Peace Act
- H.R. 3817 (106th): To redesignate the Big South Trail in the Comanche Peak Wilderness Area of Roosevelt National Forest in Colorado as the “Jaryd Atadero Legacy Trail”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Tancredo sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (17%) International Affairs (17%) Law (13%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Economics and Public Finance (11%) Immigration (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (10%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (8%)
Some of Tancredo’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 7059 (110th): To require the sale of certain defense articles and defense services to ...
- H.R. 7027 (110th): United Nations Eviction Act
- H.R. 6975 (110th): Jihad Prevention Act
- H.R. 6841 (110th): For the relief of Thomas J. Sherlock.
- H.R. 6511 (110th): To designate the Department of Veterans Affairs hospital under construction in Aurora, ...
- H.Con.Res. 387 (110th): Expressing the sense of Congress that the United States should sever diplomatic ...
- H.R. 6231 (110th): Fuel Freedom Act of 2008
|Tancredo’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 6707 (110th): Taking Responsible Action for Community Safety Act
Sep 27, 2008. Failed 243/175.
H.R. 2638 (110th): Consolidated Security, Disaster Assistance, and Continuing Appropriations Act, 2009
Sep 24, 2008. Passed 370/58.
H.Res. 801 (110th): Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3688) to implement the United States-Peru Trade Promotion Agreement.
Nov 7, 2007. Passed 349/55.
H.R. 3087 (110th): A bill to require the Secretary of Defense to submit to Congress reports on the status of ...
Oct 2, 2007. Passed 377/46.
H.R. 1830 (110th): To extend the authorities of the Andean Trade Preference Act until February 29, 2008.
Jun 27, 2007. Passed 365/59.
From Jan 1999 to Dec 2008, Tancredo missed 597 of 6,521 roll call votes, which is 9.2%. This is much worse than the median of 3.1% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2008. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: