Huelskamp was the representative for Kansas’s 1st congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2011 to 2016.
Read our 2016 Report Card for Huelskamp.
Huelskamp is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2016 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Huelskamp sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 5, 2011 to Dec 30, 2016. See full analysis methodology.
Huelskamp was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.R. 5788 (113th): To designate the Junction City Community-Based Outpatient Clinic located at 715 Southwind Drive, Junction City, Kansas, as the Lieutenant General Richard J. Seitz Community-Based Outpatient Clinic.
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Huelskamp sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Huelskamp’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5582 (114th): National Memorial to Fallen Educators Act
- H.R. 2981 (114th): To amend title 38, United States Code, to provide that congressional testimony ...
- H.R. 1497 (114th): To amend title 31, United States Code, to require reporting by the ...
- H.R. 1015 (114th): Protecting Business Opportunities for Veterans Act of 2015
- H.J.Res. 32 (114th): Marriage Protection Amendment
- H.R. 5788 (113th): To designate the Junction City Community-Based Outpatient Clinic located at 715 Southwind ...
- H.R. 4281 (113th): Protecting Business Opportunities for Veterans Act of 2014
From Jan 2011 to Dec 2016, Huelskamp missed 52 of 4,135 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is better than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2016. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: