Johnson, a Democrat, was a senator from South Dakota from 1997 to 2014.
He was previously the representative for South Dakota's at-large district (1993-1996); and the representative for South Dakota's 1st congressional district (1987-1992).
Read our 2014 Report Card for Johnson.
Johnson is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the Senate in 2014 positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Johnson sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Johnson was the primary sponsor of 28 bills that were enacted. The most recent include:
- S. 459 (113th): Minuteman Missile National Historic Site Boundary Modification Act
- S. 3677 (112th): A bill to make a technical correction to the Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973.
- S. 2101 (112th): Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Human Rights Act of 2012
- S. 2099 (112th): A bill to amend the Federal Deposit Insurance Act with respect to information provided to the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection.
- S. 1940 (112th): An original bill to amend the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968, to restore the financial solvency of the flood insurance fund, and for other purposes.
- S. 1547 (112th): Export-Import Bank Reauthorization Act of 2011
- S. 3555 (111th): A bill to designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 515 9th Street in Rapid City, South Dakota, as the “Andrew W. Bogue Federal ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Johnson sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (31%) Finance and Financial Sector (14%) Taxation (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (11%) International Affairs (8%) Government Operations and Politics (8%) Water Resources Development (6%)
Some of Johnson’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2910 (113th): Fairness and Independence in Redistricting Act
- S. 2570 (113th): Tribal Adoption Parity Act
- S. 2464 (113th): National Bison Legacy Act
- S.Res. 464 (113th): A resolution designating June 2014 as “National Aphasia Awareness Month” and supporting ...
- S. 2299 (113th): Native American Languages Reauthorization Act of 2014
- S. 2125 (113th): Public Safety and Economic Security Communications Act of 2014
- S.Con.Res. 25 (113th): A concurrent resolution authorizing the use of Emancipation Hall in the Capitol ...
|Johnson’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
On the Nomination PN1777: Joseph F. Leeson, Jr., of Pennsylvania, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
Dec 4, 2014. Nomination Confirmed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
H.R. 3370 (113th): Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014
Mar 13, 2014. Bill Passed 72/22.
H.R. 4853 (111th): Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010
Dec 15, 2010. Motion Agreed to 81/19.
The Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 (Pub.L. 111–312, H.R. 4853, 124 Stat. 3296, enacted December 17, 2010), also known as the 2010 Tax Relief Act, was passed by the United States Congress on December 16, 2010, and signed into ...
H.R. 627 (111th): Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009
May 19, 2009. Bill Passed 90/5.
The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009, or Credit CARD Act of 2009, is a federal statute passed by the United States Congress and signed by President Barack Obama on May 22, 2009. It is comprehensive credit card reform legislation that aims ...
H.R. 1424 (110th): Paul Wellstone Mental Health and Addiction Equity Act of 2007
Oct 1, 2008. Bill Passed 74/25.
This is the Senate's October 2008 Economic Stimulus Relief Bill. This bill was originally introduced in March 2007 and passed the House as the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008. In October 2008, it was co-opted as the so-called "vehicle" to pass the relief bill ...
On the Nomination PN2: Leslie Southwick, of Mississippi, to be United States Circuit Judge for the Fifth Circuit
Oct 24, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 59/38.
On the Nomination PN177: Gen. George W. Casey, Jr., in the Army, to be General
Feb 8, 2007. Nomination Confirmed 83/14.
From Jan 1997 to Dec 2014, Johnson missed 402 of 5,733 roll call votes, which is 7.0%. This is much worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of senators serving in Dec 2014. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including:
- @unitedstates/congress-legislators, a community project gathering congressional information
- The House and Senate websites, for committee membership and voting records
- United States Congressional Roll Call Voting Records, 1789-1990 by Howard L. Rosenthal and Keith T. Poole.
- Martis’s “The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress”, via Keith Poole’s roll call votes data set, for political party affiliation for Members of Congress from 1789 through about year 2000
- GPO Member Guide for the photo
- GPO.gov/FDSys, for sponsored bills