Read our 2016 Report Card for Ryan.
Our unique analysis of the bills Ryan has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the House of Representatives.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the House of Representatives. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Ryan is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Tim Ryan sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Legislative Branch
- Member, Subcommittee on Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Military Construction, Veterans Affairs and Related Agencies
Ryan was the primary sponsor of 4 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1813 (113th): To redesignate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 162 Northeast Avenue in Tallmadge, Ohio, as the “Lance Corporal Daniel Nathan Deyarmin, Jr., Post ...
- H.R. 725 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 4865 Tallmadge Road in Rootstown, Ohio, as the “Marine Sgt. Jeremy E. Murray Post Office”.
- H.R. 6051 (109th): To designate the Federal building and United States courthouse located at 2 South Main Street in Akron, Ohio, as the “John F. Seiberling Federal Building and United ...
- H.R. 3908 (108th): To provide for the conveyance of the real property located at 1081 West Main Street in Ravenna, Ohio.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Ryan sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Ryan’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 2967: To amend the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 to establish a grant program ...
- H.R. 2801: HOT CARS Act of 2017
- H.R. 2544: Teacher Health and Wellness Act
- H.R. 2506: Veteran Wellness Act
- H.R. 2308: SHOP CLASS Act
- H.Res. 306: Recognizing the impact of tribology on the United States economy and competitiveness in ...
- H.Res. 301: Expressing support for designation of May 30 as “National Bartter Syndrome Day”.
|Ryan’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1695: Register of Copyrights Selection and Accountability Act of 2017
Apr 26, 2017. Passed 378/48.
This bill would change the appointment process for the head of the U.S. Copyright Office, known as the Register of Copyrights. Currently the Register of Copyrights is hired by the Librarian of Congress (who is the head of the Library of Congress). This bill would ...
H.R. 5278: PROMESA
Jun 9, 2016. Passed 297/127.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1731: National Cybersecurity Protection Advancement Act of 2015
Apr 23, 2015. Passed 355/63.
H.R. 83 (113th): Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015
Dec 11, 2014. Passed 219/206.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of the Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 [pdf], which was approved by the House on December 11, 2014 and by the Senate on December 13, 2014. The bill was originally introduced on January 3, 2013 by ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
S. 1603 (113th): Gun Lake Trust Land Reaffirmation Act
Sep 16, 2014. Passed 359/64.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.Res. 915 (111th): Encouraging the Republic of Hungary to respect the rule of law, treat foreign investors fairly, and promote ...
Dec 8, 2009. Passed 333/74.
From Jan 2003 to Jun 2017, Ryan missed 406 of 10,420 roll call votes, which is 3.9%. This is worse than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 18 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: