Walberg, a Republican, is the representative for Michigan's 7th congressional district (view map) and has served since Jan 5, 2011. Walberg is next up for reelection in 2018.
He was previously the representative for Michigan's 7th congressional district (2007-2008).
Read our 2016 Report Card for Walberg.
Walberg is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Walberg has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tim Walberg sits on the following committees:
Walberg was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.J.Res. 66: Disapproving the rule submitted by the Department of Labor relating to savings arrangements established by States for non-governmental employees.
- H.R. 3089 (114th): GONE Act
- H.R. 3534 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 113 West Michigan Avenue in Jackson, Michigan, as the “Officer James Bonneau Memorial Post Office”.
- H.R. 2747 (113th): Streamlining Claims Processing for Federal Contractor Employees Act
- H.R. 3446 (110th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 202 East Michigan Avenue in Marshall, Michigan, as the “Michael W. Schragg Post Office Building”.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if about one third or more of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Walberg sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Government Operations and Politics (24%) Labor and Employment (20%) Crime and Law Enforcement (16%) Health (10%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Social Welfare (6%) Taxation (6%)
Some of Walberg’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 4604: Increasing Access to a Secure Retirement Act of 2017
- H.R. 4476: PURPA Modernization Act of 2017
- H.R. 4158: Retirement Plan Modernization Act
- H.R. 4066: National Historic Vehicle Register Act of 2017
- H.R. 3891: To amend title XIX of the Social Security Act to clarify the authority ...
- H.R. 3518: Great Lakes Agricultural Stewardship Act
- H.R. 2776: Workforce Democracy and Fairness Act
|Walberg’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 863: To facilitate the addition of park administration at the Coltsville National Historical Park, and for other purposes.
Feb 27, 2017. Passed 369/42.
H.R. 1295: Trade Preferences Extension Act of 2015
Jun 25, 2015. Passed 286/138.
This vote was on extending a trade agreement with sub-Saharan African partners and Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA). TAA was added to the bill after the Democrats strategically voted against TAA in an earlier bill.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 6233 (112th): Agricultural Disaster Assistance Act of 2012
Aug 2, 2012. Passed 223/197.
H.R. 4628 (112th): Interest Rate Reduction Act
Apr 27, 2012. Passed 215/195.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.J.Res. 48 (112th): Additional Continuing Appropriations Amendments, 2011
Mar 15, 2011. Passed 271/158.
From Jan 2007 to Dec 2017, Walberg missed 80 of 6,695 roll call votes, which is 1.2%. This is better than the median of 2.2% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. ProPublica has tracked 15 explanations for these missed votes. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: