Read our 2016 Report Card for Kaine.
Our unique analysis of the bills Kaine has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Kaine is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Timothy Kaine sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Near East, South Asia, Central Asia, and Counterterrorism
- Member, Subcommittee on East Asia, the Pacific, and International Cybersecurity Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Senate Committee on the Budget
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Kaine sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (33%) International Affairs (15%) Armed Forces and National Security (13%) Labor and Employment (11%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (9%) Arts, Culture, Religion (7%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (7%) Native Americans (7%)
Some of Kaine’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 1599: A bill to require the Secretary of Labor to award grants for promoting ...
- S.Res. 193: A resolution commending the bravery of the United States Capitol Police, the Police ...
- S. 1328: Fair and Equal Housing Act of 2017
- S. 1314: Pipeline Fairness and Transparency Act
- S. 1224: BUILD Resilience Act of 2017
- S. 1156: School Infrastructure Modernization Act of 2017
- S. 1125: Protect Our Gold Star Families’ Education Act of 2017
|Kaine’s Vote||Vote Description|
On the Nomination PN102: Jeffrey A. Rosen, of Virginia, to be Deputy Secretary of Transportation
May 16, 2017. Nomination Confirmed 56/42.
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
From Jan 2013 to Jul 2017, Kaine missed 28 of 1,325 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is worse than the median of 1.3% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: