Read our 2016 Report Card for Kaine.
Our unique analysis of the bills Kaine has sponsored and cosponsored provides insight into his position in the Senate.
Each dot in the chart below is a member of the Senate. The dots are positioned horizontally according to our progressive—conservative ideology score and vertically according to our leadership score (leaders toward the top). Kaine is shown as a purple triangle. (analysis methodology)
Timothy Kaine sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Armed Services
- Senate Committee on the Budget
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Near East, South Asia, Central Asia, and Counterterrorism
- Member, Subcommittee on East Asia, the Pacific, and International Cybersecurity Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Western Hemisphere, Transnational Crime, Civilian Security, Democracy, Human Rights, and Global Women's Issues
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Kaine sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (29%) International Affairs (17%) Armed Forces and National Security (15%) Labor and Employment (12%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (10%) Arts, Culture, Religion (7%) Environmental Protection (5%) Civil Rights and Liberties, Minority Issues (5%)
Some of Kaine’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 691: A bill to extend Federal recognition to the Chickahominy Indian Tribe, the Chickahominy ...
- S.Res. 87: A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate concerning the ongoing conflict in ...
- S.Con.Res. 9: A concurrent resolution recognizing the George C. Marshall Museum and George C. Marshall ...
- S. 628: Educating Tomorrow’s Workforce Act of 2017
- S. 592: Department of Defense Cyber Scholarship Program Act of 2017
- S.Res. 66: A resolution supporting the goals and ideals of Career and Technical Education Month.
- S.J.Res. 22: A joint resolution granting the consent and approval of Congress to the Commonwealth ...
View All » (including bills from previous years)
|Kaine’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 5325: Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2017
Sep 28, 2016. Bill Passed 72/26.
H.R. 22: Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act
Dec 3, 2015. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
H.R 22, formerly the Hire More Heroes Act, has become the Senate’s vehicle for passage of the Developing a Reliable and Innovative Vision for the Economy Act or DRIVE Act (S. 1647). The DRIVE Act is a major bipartisan transportation bill that would authorize funding ...
H.R. 5771 (113th): Tax Increase Prevention Act of 2014
Dec 16, 2014. Bill Passed 76/16.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 18, 2014. Joint Resolution Passed 78/22.
From Jan 2013 to Mar 2017, Kaine missed 26 of 1,251 roll call votes, which is 2.1%. This is on par with the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: