Read our 2017 Report Card for Walz.
Walz is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Walz has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Timothy Walz sits on the following committees:
Walz was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1725: To direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to submit certain reports relating to medical evidence submitted in support of claims for benefits under the laws administered by the ...
- H.R. 2519: The American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 203 (114th): Clay Hunt SAV Act
- H.R. 3682 (113th): To designate the community based outpatient clinic of the Department of Veterans Affairs located at 1961 Premier Drive in Mankato, Minnesota, as the “Lyle C. Pearson Community ...
- H.R. 3670 (112th): To require the Transportation Security Administration to comply with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Walz sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Walz’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6500: VET-2-FARM Act of 2018
- H.R. 6383: Small Town and Regional Vitality Investment Act
- H.R. 6341: Protect Medicare for Seniors Act of 2018
- H.R. 5520: VA Medicinal Cannabis Research Act of 2018
- H.R. 5479: Military Taxpayer Assistance Act
- H.R. 5188: SOIL Stewardship Act
- H.R. 4316: Beginning Farmer and Rancher Opportunity Act of 2017
|Walz’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 123: Making further continuing appropriations for fiscal year 2018, and for other purposes.
Dec 7, 2017. Passed 235/193.
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2596: Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016
Jun 16, 2015. Passed 247/178.
The Intelligence Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2016 (IAA), H.R. 2596, was passed by the House on June 16. The IAA would authorize funding for intelligence-related agencies such as the Central Intelligence Agency, National Security Agency, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It was passed ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1560: Protecting Cyber Networks Act
Apr 22, 2015. Passed 307/116.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3393 (113th): Student and Family Tax Simplification Act
Jul 24, 2014. Passed 227/187.
H.R. 1947 (113th): Federal Agriculture Reform and Risk Management Act of 2013
Jun 20, 2013. Failed 195/234.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 3729 (111th): National Aeronautics and Space Administration Authorization Act of 2010
Sep 29, 2010. Passed 304/118.
From Jan 2007 to Sep 2018, Walz missed 390 of 8,775 roll call votes, which is 4.4%. This is worse than the median of 2.4% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: