Walz was the representative for Minnesota’s 1st congressional district and was a Democrat. He served from 2007 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Walz.
Walz is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Walz sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Walz was the primary sponsor of 5 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 1725 (115th): To direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to submit certain reports relating to medical evidence submitted in support of claims for benefits under the laws administered by …
- H.R. 2519 (115th): The American Legion 100th Anniversary Commemorative Coin Act
- H.R. 203 (114th): Clay Hunt SAV Act
- H.R. 3682 (113th): To designate the community based outpatient clinic of the Department of Veterans Affairs located at 1961 Premier Drive in Mankato, Minnesota, as the “Lyle C. Pearson Community …
- H.R. 3670 (112th): To require the Transportation Security Administration to comply with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act.
Does 5 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Walz sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Recently Introduced Bills
Walz recently introduced the following legislation:
- H.R. 7072 (115th): Reserve Component Employer Incentive, Compensation, and Relief Act of 2018
- H.R. 6500 (115th): VET-2-FARM Act of 2018
- H.R. 6383 (115th): Small Town and Regional Vitality Investment Act
- H.R. 6341 (115th): Protect Medicare for Seniors Act of 2018
- H.R. 5520 (115th): VA Medicinal Cannabis Research Act of 2018
- H.R. 5479 (115th): Military Taxpayer Assistance Act
- H.R. 5188 (115th): SOIL Stewardship Act
Most legislation has no activity after being introduced.
From Jan 2007 to Dec 2018, Walz missed 482 of 8,876 roll call votes, which is 5.4%. This is much worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: