Smith is the junior senator from Minnesota and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2018. Smith was appointed to the Senate to fill a vacancy and is up for reelection in a special election in 2018.
Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tina Smith sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Rural Development and Energy
- Member, Subcommittee on Commodities, Risk Management, and Trade
- Member, Subcommittee on Nutrition, Agricultural Research, and Specialty Crops
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Smith sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3434: Reducing Administrative Costs and Burdens in Health Care Act of 2018
- S. 3411: Affordable Medications Act
- S. 3376: Advancing Grid Storage Act of 2018
- S.Res. 614: A resolution honoring the life and legacy of Coya Knutson.
- S. 3337: Mental Health Services for Students Act of 2018
- S. 3235: Veterans Hearing Benefits Act of 2018
- S. 3216: Justice for Native Survivors of Sexual Violence Act
|Smith’s Vote||Vote Description|
On the Nomination PN1413: Charles Barnes Goodwin, of Oklahoma, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of Oklahoma
Aug 28, 2018. Nomination Confirmed 52/42.
H.R. 2: Agriculture and Nutrition Act of 2018
Jun 28, 2018. Bill Passed 86/11.
See the Congressional Research Service's 122-page summary of the bill. * * * H.R. 2 amends and extends major programs for income support, food and nutrition, land conservation, trade promotion, rural development, research, forestry, horticulture, and other miscellaneous programs administered by the Department of Agriculture ...
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018, the SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Family First Prevention Services Act.; Honoring Hometown ...
Feb 9, 2018. Motion Agreed to 71/28.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
From Jan 2018 to Sep 2018, Smith missed 0 of 212 roll call votes, which is 0.0%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: