Smith is the junior senator from Minnesota and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2018. Smith is next up for reelection in 2026 and serves until Jan 3, 2027.
Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jan 22, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tina Smith sits on the following committees:
Smith was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- S. 199 (116th): Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Reservation Restoration Act
- S. 3499 (116th): Free COVID-19 Testing Act
- S. 2654 (115th): Community Connect Grant Program Act of 2018
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Smith sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S.Res. 780 (116th): A resolution designating November 2020 as “National Lung Cancer Awareness Month” and ...
- S.Res. 771 (116th): A resolution designating October 2020, as “National Co-op Month” and commending the ...
- S.Res. 769 (116th): A resolution recognizing October 2020 as “National Principals Month”.
- S. 4794 (116th): A bill making emergency supplemental appropriations for the COVID-19 Telehealth Program of ...
- S. 4745 (116th): Stop COVID–19 Test Surprise Medical Bills Act of 2020
- S. 4737 (116th): Community Immunity During COVID–19 Act of 2020
- S. 4562 (116th): Tribal Health Data Improvement Act of 2020
From Jan 2018 to Jan 2021, Smith missed 6 of 998 roll call votes, which is 0.6%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: