Smith is the junior senator from Minnesota and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2018. Smith is next up for reelection in 2020.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Smith.
Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Mar 14, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tina Smith sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Ranking Member, Subcommittee on Rural Development and Energy
- Member, Subcommittee on Commodities, Risk Management, and Trade
- Member, Subcommittee on Nutrition, Agricultural Research, and Specialty Crops
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Economic Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Smith was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Smith sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 741: A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to require group and ...
- S. 555: Mark Takai Atomic Veterans Healthcare Parity Act of 2019
- S. 288: Justice for Native Survivors of Sexual Violence Act
- S. 199: Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe Reservation Restoration Act
- S. 162: Fair Compensation for Low-Wage Contractor Employees Act of 2019
- S. 3742 (115th): Cancer Drug Parity Act of 2018
- S. 3520: Child Care Supply Improvement Act of 2018
|Smith’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.J.Res. 31: Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019
Feb 14, 2019. Conference Report Agreed to 83/16.
This bill, in its final form, funded the parts of the federal government whose funding was to lapse on February 15, 2019. On December 22, 2018 the 115th Congress was unable to reach a deal to fund some federal agencies through fiscal year 2019 after ...
On the Nomination PN1413: Charles Barnes Goodwin, of Oklahoma, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of Oklahoma
Aug 28, 2018. Nomination Confirmed 52/42.
H.R. 1892: Further Extension of Continuing Appropriations Act, 2018; Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2018, the SUSTAIN Care Act of 2018; Family First Prevention Services Act.; Honoring Hometown ...
Feb 9, 2018. Motion Agreed to 71/28.
This bill became the vehicle for passage of funding for the federal government through March 23, 2018, to avert a government shutdown that would have occurred on February 9, 2018 had this bill not been enacted. The bill was introduced as the Honoring Hometown Heroes ...
From Jan 2018 to Mar 2019, Smith missed 0 of 323 roll call votes, which is 0.0%. This is better than the median of 1.4% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: