Smith is the junior senator from Minnesota and is a Democrat. She has served since Jan 3, 2018. Smith is next up for reelection in 2020.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Smith.
Smith is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Smith has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Jul 17, 2019. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tina Smith sits on the following committees:
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- Member, Subcommittee on Economic Policy
- Member, Subcommittee on Housing, Transportation, and Community Development
- Member, Subcommittee on Securities, Insurance, and Investment
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs
Smith was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Smith sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (43%) Native Americans (14%) Agriculture and Food (11%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%) Energy (8%) Education (5%) Government Operations and Politics (5%) Public Lands and Natural Resources (5%)
Some of Smith’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 2004: Emergency Access to Insulin Act of 2019
- S. 1903: Advancing Emergency Preparedness Through One Health Act of 2019
- S. 1907: No Shame at School Act of 2019
- S. 1801: Affordable Medications Act
- S. 1593: Promoting Grid Storage Act of 2019
- S. 1359: Clean Energy Standard Act of 2019
- S. 1260: Reducing Administrative Costs and Burdens in Health Care Act of 2019
From Jan 2018 to Jul 2019, Smith missed 0 of 492 roll call votes, which is 0.0%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: