Rokita was the representative for Indiana’s 4th congressional district and was a Republican. He served from 2011 to 2018.
Read our 2018 Report Card for Rokita.
Rokita is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot was a member of the House of Representatives in 2018 positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Rokita sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2013 to Dec 21, 2018. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Rokita was the primary sponsor of 1 bill that was enacted:
- H.J.Res. 57 (115th): Providing for congressional disapproval under chapter 8 of title 5, United States Code, of the rule submitted by the Department of Education relating to accountability and State ...
Does 1 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Rokita sponsored bills primarily in these issue areas:
Education (21%) Labor and Employment (15%) Transportation and Public Works (15%) Taxation (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Native Americans (9%) Health (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%)
Some of Rokita’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 6957 (115th): SARA Act of 2018
- H.R. 6668 (115th): MUSSELS Act
- H.R. 6647 (115th): To amend the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act to move ...
- H.R. 6532 (115th): Making DI Work For All Americans Act of 2018
- H.Res. 870 (115th): Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives with respect to the ...
- H.R. 5289 (115th): Restoring Integrity in our Elected Officials Act
- H.Res. 772 (115th): Condemning Louis Farrakhan for promoting ideas that create animosity and anger toward ...
From Jan 2011 to Dec 2018, Rokita missed 209 of 5,345 roll call votes, which is 3.9%. This is worse than the median of 2.5% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Dec 2018. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: