Read our 2019 Report Card for Young.
Young is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Young has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Feb 13, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Todd Young sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Young was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 112: National FFA Organization’s Federal Charter Amendments Act
- S. 2276 (115th): Good Accounting Obligation in Government Act
- S. 1182: National Flood Insurance Program Extension Act of 2018
- S. 3008: Dr. Todd Graham Pain Management Improvement Act of 2018
- S. 963: Social Impact Partnerships to Pay for Results Act
- H.R. 2144 (114th): Program Management Improvement and Accountability Act of 2015
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Young sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (20%) Taxation (18%) Education (14%) International Affairs (12%) Social Welfare (11%) Housing and Community Development (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Transportation and Public Works (8%)
Some of Young’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 3317: A bill to improve the operation of the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network.
- S.Res. 502: A resolution recognizing the 75th anniversary of the amphibious landing on the Japanese ...
- S.Res. 499: A resolution acknowledging the reprehensible policy of the United States regarding the forced ...
- S. 3083: Family Stability and Opportunity Vouchers Act of 2019
- S. 2986: Social Determinants Accelerator Act of 2019
- S. 2945: A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located ...
- S.Res. 437: A resolution expressing support for the goals of Stomach Cancer Awareness Month.
From Jan 2017 to Feb 2020, Young missed 12 of 1,079 roll call votes, which is 1.1%. This is better than the median of 1.5% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: