Read our 2019 Report Card for Young.
Young is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Young has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Aug 6, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Todd Young sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Young was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 112: National FFA Organization’s Federal Charter Amendments Act
- S. 2276 (115th): Good Accounting Obligation in Government Act
- S. 1182: National Flood Insurance Program Extension Act of 2018
- S. 3008: Dr. Todd Graham Pain Management Improvement Act of 2018
- S. 963: Social Impact Partnerships to Pay for Results Act
- H.R. 2144 (114th): Program Management Improvement and Accountability Act of 2015
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Young sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (24%) Taxation (13%) International Affairs (13%) Education (13%) Government Operations and Politics (10%) Housing and Community Development (10%) Transportation and Public Works (10%) Armed Forces and National Security (8%)
Some of Young’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4436: A bill to provide a tax credit for employers that provide remote work ...
- S. 4302: A bill to utilize national service programs to directly respond to the novel ...
- S. 4289: A bill to require the Secretary of Health and Human Services to collect, ...
- S. 4244: Unemployment Insurance Systems Modernization Act of 2020
- S. 3958: Expedited Delivery of Airport Infrastructure Act of 2020
- S. 3839: A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located ...
- S. 3445: Early Educators Apprenticeship Act
From Jan 2017 to Aug 2020, Young missed 12 of 1,184 roll call votes, which is 1.0%. This is better than the median of 1.7% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: