Read our 2019 Report Card for Young.
Young is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the Senate positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Young has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 6, 2015 to Nov 18, 2020. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Todd Young sits on the following committees:
Senate Committee on Foreign Relations
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation
- Senate Committee on Finance
- Senate Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Young was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- S. 112: National FFA Organization’s Federal Charter Amendments Act
- S. 2276 (115th): Good Accounting Obligation in Government Act
- S. 1182 (115th): National Flood Insurance Program Extension Act of 2018
- S. 3008 (115th): Dr. Todd Graham Pain Management Improvement Act of 2018
- S. 963 (115th): Social Impact Partnerships to Pay for Results Act
- H.R. 2144 (114th): Program Management Improvement and Accountability Act of 2015
Does 6 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Young sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (26%) Taxation (14%) International Affairs (12%) Education (12%) Armed Forces and National Security (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Labor and Employment (9%) Housing and Community Development (9%)
Some of Young’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- S. 4779: JUDGES Act
- S. 4765: Combating Bias in Military Promotions Act
- S. 4574: Bringing Enhanced Treatments and Therapies to ESRD Recipients (BETTER) Kidney Care Act
- S. 4436: AT HOME Act
- S. 4302: VICTORY Act
- S. 4289: COVID-19 Emergency Telehealth Impact Reporting Act of 2020
- S. 4244: Unemployment Insurance Systems Modernization Act of 2020
From Jan 2017 to Nov 2020, Young missed 17 of 1,265 roll call votes, which is 1.3%. This is on par with the median of 1.8% among the lifetime records of senators currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: