Read our 2017 Report Card for Cole.
Cole is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Cole has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tom Cole sits on the following committees:
House Committee on Appropriations
- Chair, Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies
- Member, Subcommittee on Defense
- Member, Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies
- House Committee on the Budget
- House Committee on Rules
- Joint Committee on the Library
Cole was the primary sponsor of 6 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 3358: Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2018
- H.R. 3020 (114th): Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2016
- H.R. 3263 (112th): Lake Thunderbird Efficient Use Act of 2012
- H.R. 5883 (112th): To make a technical correction in Public Law 112-108.
- H.R. 1423 (112th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 115 4th Avenue Southwest in Ardmore, Oklahoma, as the “Specialist Micheal E. Phillips Post Office”.
- H.R. 4066 (108th): Chickasaw National Recreation Area Land Exchange Act of 2004
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Cole sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Cole’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 696: Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to the bill (H.R. 195) to ...
- H.Res. 681: Providing for consideration of the bill (S. 140) to amend the White Mountain ...
- H.Res. 500: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3354) making appropriations for the Department ...
- H.Res. 473: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 3219) making appropriations for the Department ...
- H.R. 3358: Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriations ...
- H.Res. 396: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 2842) to provide for the conduct ...
- H.Res. 379: Providing for consideration of the bill (H.R. 2372) to amend the Internal Revenue ...
|Cole’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 3043: Hydropower Policy Modernization Act of 2017
Nov 8, 2017. Passed 257/166.
H.R. 3043 modernizes the regulatory permitting process and encourages the expansion of hydropower generation by improving administrative efficiency, accountability, and transparency; promotes new hydropower infrastructure; requires balanced and timely decision making; and reduces duplicative oversight. Specifically, the legislation establishes the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission as ...
H.R. 1314: Trade Act of 2015
Oct 28, 2015. Passed 266/167.
This vote turned this bill into the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015, by replacing the text of the bill in whole. H.R. 1314 was previously the Trade Act of 2015.
H.R. 719: Continuing Appropriations Act, 2016
Sep 30, 2015. Passed 277/151.
This was a vote to agree to the provisions to keep the government funded through December 11, 2015 that the Senate had added in a previous vote. With this vote, the House approved the Senate's changes to the bill, with the government funding provisions, sending ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 3521 (112th): Expedited Legislative Line-Item Veto and Rescissions Act of 2012
Feb 8, 2012. Passed 254/173.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
H.R. 2499 (111th): Puerto Rico Democracy Act of 2010
Apr 29, 2010. Passed 223/169.
H.Res. 915 (111th): Encouraging the Republic of Hungary to respect the rule of law, treat foreign investors fairly, and promote ...
Dec 8, 2009. Passed 333/74.
From Jan 2003 to May 2018, Cole missed 269 of 11,017 roll call votes, which is 2.4%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: