Emmer is the representative for Minnesota’s 6th congressional district (view map) and is a Republican. He has served since Jan 6, 2015. Emmer is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Emmer.
Emmer is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Emmer has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Oct 15, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tom Emmer sits on the following committees:
Emmer was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 6244 (115th): To designate the United States courthouse located at 300 South Fourth Street in Minneapolis, Minnesota, as the “Diana E. Murphy United States Courthouse”.
- H.R. 534 (115th): U.S. Wants to Compete for a World Expo Act
- H.R. 4425 (114th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 110 East Powerhouse Road in Collegeville, Minnesota, as the “Eugene J. McCarthy Post Office”.
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Emmer sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Some of Emmer’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5559: APP Act
- H.Con.Res. 52: Government Shutdown Prevention Act of 2021
- H.R. 5045: Blockchain Regulatory Certainty Act
- H.R. 4451: Securities Clarity Act
- H.Res. 523: Amending the Rules of the House of Representatives to require the Committee on ...
- H.R. 3820: Firearm Due Process Protection Act
- H.R. 3273: Safe Harbor for Taxpayers with Forked Assets Act of 2021
From Jan 2015 to Oct 2021, Emmer missed 118 of 3,804 roll call votes, which is 3.1%. This is worse than the median of 2.1% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: