Malinowski is the representative for New Jersey’s 7th congressional district (view map) and is a Democrat. He has served since Jan 3, 2019. Malinowski is next up for reelection in 2022 and serves until Jan 3, 2023.
Read our 2020 Report Card for Malinowski.
Malinowski is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Malinowski has sponsored and cosponsored from Jan 3, 2017 to Jun 11, 2021. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tom Malinowski sits on the following committees:
Malinowski was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 4044 (116th): Protect and Restore America’s Estuaries Act
- H.R. 8108 (116th): VA Serious Mental Illness Act
- H.R. 6005 (116th): Know the Price Act
Does 3 not sound like a lot? Very few bills are ever enacted — most legislators sponsor only a handful that are signed into law. But there are other legislative activities that we don’t track that are also important, including offering amendments, committee work and oversight of the other branches, and constituent services.
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Malinowski sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Health (19%) International Affairs (15%) Immigration (15%) Transportation and Public Works (15%) Government Operations and Politics (11%) Crime and Law Enforcement (11%) Science, Technology, Communications (7%) Energy (7%)
Some of Malinowski’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.Res. 466: Urging the International Olympic Committee to take into consideration the mass detention of ...
- H.R. 3781: To require an accounting of certain property forfeited to the United States, and ...
- H.R. 2889: To amend the Natural Gas Act with respect to actions for eminent domain ...
- H.R. 2154: Protecting Americans from Dangerous Algorithms Act
- H.R. 1464: Saudi Arabia Accountability for Gross Violations of Human Rights Act
- H.R. 1306: National Coronavirus Commission Act of 2021
- H.Res. 31: Condemning and censuring Representative Mo Brooks of Alabama.
From Jan 2019 to May 2021, Malinowski missed 6 of 1,110 roll call votes, which is 0.5%. This is better than the median of 2.0% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
We don’t track why legislators miss votes, but it’s often due to medical absenses and major life events.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: