Read our 2017 Report Card for Reed.
Reed is shown as a purple triangle ▲ in our ideology-leadership chart below. Each dot is a member of the House of Representatives positioned according to our liberal–conservative ideology score (left to right) and our leadership score (leaders are toward the top).
The chart is based on the bills Reed has sponsored and cosponsored. See full analysis methodology.
Ratings from Advocacy Organizations
Tom Reed II sits on the following committees:
Reed was the primary sponsor of 3 bills that were enacted:
- H.R. 644 (114th): Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015
- H.R. 606 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 815 County Road 23 in Tyrone, New York, as the “Specialist Christopher Scott Post Office ...
- H.R. 3765 (113th): To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 198 Baker Street in Corning, New York, as the “Specialist Ryan P. Jayne Post Office ...
We consider a bill enacted if one of the following is true: a) it is enacted itself, b) it has a companion bill in the other chamber (as identified by Congress) which was enacted, or c) if at least about half of its provisions were incorporated into bills that were enacted (as determined by an automated text analysis, applicable beginning with bills in the 110th Congress).
Reed sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:
Taxation (35%) Health (24%) Social Welfare (12%) Crime and Law Enforcement (12%) Economics and Public Finance (5%) Armed Forces and National Security (4%) Commerce (4%) Government Operations and Politics (4%)
Some of Reed’s most recently sponsored bills include...
- H.R. 5842: To amend title IV-A of the Social Security Act, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 5768: To amend title XVIII of the Social Security Act to improve access to ...
- H.Res. 829: Recognizing and supporting the goals and ideals of “National Sexual Assault Awareness and ...
- H.R. 5375: To require the Secretary of the Treasury to submit to Congress a comprehensive ...
- H.R. 4679: Ensuring Equal Access to Treatments Act of 2017
- H.R. 4250: Buy Smarter and Save Act of 2017
- H.Con.Res. 84: Expressing support for designation of the first Friday of October as “Manufacturing Day”.
|Reed’s Vote||Vote Description|
H.R. 1119: SENSE Act
Mar 8, 2018. Passed 215/189.
H.R. 1119 addresses the application of the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) rule, the Mercury and Air Toxics Standards, issued pursuant to section 112 of the Clean Air Act, to electric generating units that utilize coal refuse to generate electricity. The bill would provide for limited ...
H.R. 3905: Minnesota’s Economic Rights in the Superior National Forest Act
Nov 30, 2017. Passed 216/204.
H.R. 3905 would require Congressional approval for mineral withdrawal and monument designation in National Forest System lands in the Minnesota. The bill would also allow for the renewal of mineral leases in the area and would ensure that future leases remain valid and renewed, consistent ...
H.R. 2146: Defending Public Safety Employees’ Retirement Act
Jun 18, 2015. Passed 218/208.
This vote made H.R. 2146 the vehicle for passage of Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal currently being negotiated. H.R. 2146 was originally introduced as a bill to address issues with retirement funds of federal law enforcement officers and firefighters. ...
H.R. 2048: Uniting and Strengthening America by Fulfilling Rights and Ensuring Effective Discipline Over Monitoring Act of 2015
May 13, 2015. Passed 338/88.
The USA Freedom Act (H.R. 2048, Pub.L. 114–23) is a U.S. law enacted on June 2, 2015 that restored in modified form several provisions of the Patriot Act, which had expired the day before. The act imposes some new limits on the bulk collection of ...
H.R. 1563: Federal Employee Tax Accountability Act of 2015
Apr 15, 2015. Failed 266/160.
H.J.Res. 124 (113th): Continuing Appropriations Resolution, 2015
Sep 17, 2014. Passed 319/108.
H.R. 249 (113th): Federal Employee Tax Accountability Act of 2013
Apr 15, 2013. Failed 250/159.
H.R. 4212 (112th): Drywall Safety Act of 2012
Jan 1, 2013. Passed 378/37.
H.R. 1249 (112th): Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
Jun 23, 2011. Passed 304/117.
The Leahy–Smith America Invents Act (AIA) is a United States federal statute that was passed by Congress and was signed into law by President Barack Obama on September 16, 2011. The law represents the most significant change to the U.S. patent system since 1952, and ...
S. 841 (111th): Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010
Dec 16, 2010. Passed 379/30.
From Nov 2010 to May 2018, Reed missed 100 of 5,136 roll call votes, which is 1.9%. This is on par with the median of 2.3% among the lifetime records of representatives currently serving. The chart below reports missed votes over time.
|Time Period||Votes Eligible||Missed Votes||Percent||Percentile|
The information on this page is originally sourced from a variety of materials, including: